Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heat resistant cable between LED bulb holder and LED driver, whatkind?

On 21/01/18 13:10, MM wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 13:00:25 +0000, (Roger Hayter)
wrote:

MM wrote:

snip

Supplementary question:

Is there any use for the old halogen 12V transformers? For example, as
a power supply for Maplin electronic kits/modules?

MM

No. They are horrible things. Designed as cheaply as possible.
Damaged by the heat they produce. Output not smoothed at all and
approximately regulated so that a purely resistive load gets about the
right amount of RMS voltage with an arbitrary waveform. And not
adequately insulated to handle safely without an enclosure of some kind.

Okey-dokey!

MM

OTOH my toroids were extemely well made, delivered a proper 50Hz sine
wave, were extremely well (double) insulated and absolutely ideal for
anyomne wantiong to build a 50W PSU.

Hayter is one of those people who thinks his experience applies to
everyone else of course.

Lucas Bergkamp