Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Harbor Freight Bar Clamp #60539 Review

On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 13:17:40 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 12:06:08 PM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/20/18 11:38 AM, Leon wrote:

Hopefully you were not checking that clamp with a Harbor Freight square.
*;~)

Don't be silly.
If I checked it with a HF square, it would be square. :-p

I can hear Ed McMahon and his "Hiyo!" with a rim shot!

;-)

I have those same HF clamps and used them for about 3 or 4 glue ups. I spotted one that was out of square right away so I marked it and used it for plywood framing glue ups, etc. Oddly, it held up. The others? Even in light use, after the mentioned 3 or 4 glue ups the little balls inside the clamp head on the end of the screw just fell off.

I don't trust them so I don't use them. I don't know why I don't throw them away.

Sadly, these used to be a great HF product.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-in-...amp-60549.html

I have a couple left that continue to serve and they are just as good as their domestic counterparts. But the newer versions aren't nearly as well made and even some of the wood parts are cracked before purchase. I rarely use that style clamp, but still, I wish I had bought a few more.

Rockler has a really good sale on these, occasionally.