Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Does she need a bigger breaker box?

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 20 Jan 2018 14:33:05 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 2:59:19 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 01/20/2018 01:45 PM, micky wrote:
A neighbor asked me about upgrading her breaker box.

I used to know what it is. However now, to see the value on my main
breaker would require climbing on the dryer and using a mirror but I do
know that the box has 4 duplex breakers (for the oven, water heater, AC,
and clothes dryer), 12 15-amp breakers and it has 6 empty slots before I
used one. One breaker is a GFI.

Does that imply how much amperage the house is wired for?

They were built in 1979-80. 3 floors including basement, 3 bedrooms.

It seems to me there is nothing a normal person could want to add that
would require a bigger box. Maybe an electric chair would need more.

??

1) The box needs to be located where it is easily accessible. The
bottom of the box typically 4' off the ground.

Yeah, I don't understand having to climb on a dryer and use
a mirror to get to breakers.

The main breaker is not in the middle and doesn't have a lever going up
and down. It's in two of the side slots and when on, faces the wall.

My big mirror is in the car still, but I found a small one. Only 60
amps.

And the first question would be why does she think she needs
an upgrade? Unless the main is being tripped what's the problem?

Good question. It was a passing comment when I was there for something
else. I'll ask.