Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heat resistant cable between LED bulb holder and LED driver, what kind?

On Friday, 19 January 2018 17:05:12 UTC, MM wrote:
On 19 Jan 2018 15:38:51 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

MM wrote:
I've just installed my first LED driver and bulb in place of a halogen
downlight, I did this as a test. The LED functions 100% without
flicker. Only another 24 to go!

However, the LED driver didn't come with any wires attached, so I
re-used the heat-resistant cables off the old halogen bulb's
transformer. (I used bog-standard blue and neutral cables to connect
the 240V input to the brown junction box.)

Whenever I've had to purchase a new halogen transformer in the past,
it's always come wired up already. So what is the correct name of this
heat-resistant cable so that I can search for it?

Thanks.

By the way, the LED driver is this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I instead chose the following, it comes with wires, but costs
around £2.50 mo
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BMBKH... 17J1AN&psc=0

Multiplied by 24, that £2.50 saving per bulb is significant.

MM

Um, do you NEED heat resistant wire?

I assumed I did, with the wires close to the bulb. But perhaps the 5W
LED doesn't run as hot as the 50W halogen?

MM

halogen filaments run around 2800C. They're connected direct to the endcaps.. LEDs don't run much over 100C, and are indirectly connected. At 5W you can use almost anything for cable.

NT