Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default LED filament bulbs

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 21:08:20 +0000, charles wrote:

In article ,
Johnny B Good wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 16:32:12 +0000, charles wrote:

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 16 January 2018 20:58:16 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword
wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 17:31:25 -0000, harry

wrote:

Came across this, interesting.
https://ledlam.co.uk/how-do-led-filament-work

Bet you their life is even shorter than a filament bulb.

One that I brought lasted under 3 hours. Not sure what happened. It
was a 4W=40W with 4 'elements'.

The room I'm is lit with 121 of these beasts. They've already
out-lived their filament predecessors.

Ye Gods! Just how big a room are you lighting if you're using 121 "40W
equivalent" 470 or 510 lumens lamps? By my reckoning that's something
like a total of 57,000 to 62,000 lumens' worth of lighting.

I'm forced to conclude that you're using the word "room" in the
theatrical sense to refer to a theatre or large hall as "the room".

No, I'm admitting to a typo, should be 12

Thanks for the clarification. :-) Mind you, that's still some 6,000 or
so lumens' worth of lighting. It's either a very *large* or *bright* room
in the context of domestic lighting.

It's a sobering thought that a mere 12 quid's worth of those Poundland
5.5W 510Lm LED GLS light bulbs (BC22 or E27) could have been used to
provide the same illumination level for about an extra 20 watts more
consumption over and above the 48 watts consumption of those LED filament
lamps.

Assuming a price point for those filament type 4W LED "40W GLS
equivalent" lamps of circa 3 quid a pop, that represents a break even
point of some 4 to 5 years of lamp life. That's a long enough time span
to have you thinking of the saying, "I'm damned if I do and damned if I
don't." :-(

--
Johnny B Good