Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Free - Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 08:29:20 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 10:23:47 AM UTC-5, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 06:48:39 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 2:55:12 AM UTC-5, Ed Huntress wrote:
If you know what this book is, you may know that it sells for $200 on
Amazon ($150 from Moore Tool Co.). But the Internet Archive makes it
available online for free.

If you *don't* know what this book is, and you do any accurate
machining, this is the story that defined accuracy throughout the
world for around 50 years. It's probably the most acclaimed book in
the metalworking industry. It was written by Wayne Moore, son of Dick
Moore, who invented the jig borer, the jig grinder, and many other
extreme-accuracy machines. A light-emission device made by Dick was
used by the National Bureau of Standards as the US standard for the
meter for years, before lasers.

This book explains how Moore Special Tool (now Moore Tool Co.) built
machines that positioned to millionths of an inch, before today's
electronics and lasers. It describes self-checking gages (spelling
intentional) that deliver millionths of an inch just by checking the
gage against itself, or against a duplicate. This, alone, makes it
worth reading the book.

I read it four or five times when I was at American Machinist. It gave
me a great start in understanding accuracy and accurate machines.

The only thing I see wrong with the online edition is that the
photography, which was the standard in the metalworking industry for
decades and was shot by a former LIFE magazine photographer, didn't
come through in the PDF edition. You can see what's going on, but the
original photography is spectacular.

The Internet Archive is a national treasure. You have to sign up and
log on, but it's free.

https://archive.org/

--
Ed Huntress

Awesome, never heard of it. Thanks.
I got a tablet for Xmas and am filling it with good books/ articles.

George H.

Are you referring to the book or to the Internet Archive? If it's the
latter, take a look at Leon's posts in this thread. He's the expert. I
know the book, and have spent many hours with the author, but I'm new
to the Internet Archive..

--
Ed Huntress

The book! The gage block thing you talked about reminded me (a bit) of
how you test a clock (for stability). One way is to build three clocks and then test each one against the other two. That way you can find the
most stable.

Say, I downloaded the pdf version is this djvu format much better?

George H.

I don't think the djvu format is available for this file.

I downloaded the 331 Mb JP2.ZIP file and opened up some pages in Adobe
Photoshop CC. They look the same as the PDF. In other words, the
problem was in the way images were handled in the original scan.

The JP2s have much higher resolution -- you can see the screen dots in
the photos as sharp as a tack -- but it doesn't help. It's not a
matter of resolution. It's the way the grayscale threshholds were set.

So, enjoy the book. You can see enough with the photos in the PDF.
You're just missing the gorgeous, creamy tones in the original B&W
photos.

It is a fantastic book. Moore Special Tool Co., like this book, was a
national treasure. I spent a lot of time up there when I was a writer
for _American Machinist_.

--
Ed Huntress