Michael Roback

Default First Earthquake Valve Install - Advice Needed

I will be installing a earthquake gas valve for the first time and have a
couple of questions. FYI, LIttle Firefighter.

The main feed into my house is 1 1/4 and the line into the meter is 3/4".
So what I am planning on doing is this. There is a 3/4" nipple coming out
of the meter on the house side into a coupling and then a line which elbows
into the house. I am planning on leaving the 3/4" nipple in and putting a
bell reducer to open into a 1 1/4" line which will then elbow into the 1
1/4" feed into the house. I understand now that the feed that the valve is
on must be the same diameter as the feed into the house but I do not think
that it requires 1 1/4" into the meter itself. Any advice on this first
part would be appreciated if I am planning anything that sounds stupid.

Secondly, is there a code in California to anyones knowledge which requires
me to put a ball valve on the line just before it enters into the house? I
seem to have heard that somewhere but to my knowledge the only shutoff I
have every been familiar with is the one on the meter. Please set me
straight on this one.

Thirdly, how do I bleed the line once I have installed the meter. I
understand that this is good practice but not sure how to do it.

Fourthly, is the shutoff at the meter sufficient to be horizontal or do I
need to tweak it as far as it will go to shut off the line after the meter.
It will go horizontal and then about 22 1/2 degrees but I had heard
horizontal is a positive shutoff. Is this true?

Lastly, the bracket comes with two bolts ( three holes on the bracket) ...
instructions says that it can either be mounted to a stud or in alligator
molly's that come with it. I had always thought that going into studs was a
must but maybe I am wrong.