Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anyone try the Kreg hinge jig?

Thanks Scott and Leon for a look at the actual jig and opinions. I am passing on your comments and pics, Scott to my boy.

I got a big charge out of reading the comments.

I understand that he would be better off buying a drill press, a dust collector, and either buying a jig system or taking the time (and learning the skills/accuracy) to make an adjustable table jig himself. He doesn't have the money to purchase a dust collection system (and nowhere to put it). Yes, if he spent a little under a $1000, he would be in much better shape.

He doesn't have a drill press. He doesn't have the skills to make a jig. He won't invest in a dust collection system with a chip separator (needed in this instance) and a cowl of some sort to collect the chips. It is really big stuff for him to be putting these hinges on in the first place! No doubt this will take many more hours than it should, but he will enjoy every single minute being a craftsman and the bragging rights will increase as measured by the time spent.

He has a drill, a broom and dust pan, since he has to move the jig with every hole anyway I don't think debris removal in his garage will be a problem.. He has a couple of small squeeze clamps and can read the rule on the jig well enough (the Kreg instructions, according to some reviews are outstanding) to make this work on his little 6-8 door project.

Thanks for the good responses!

Robert