Old January 11th 18, 10:32 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anyone try the Kreg hinge jig?

In my work, I rarely build more than a "one off" to replace a cabinet. Haven't done a kitchen full of cabinets in 20 years... don't miss it! I used to use a plastic jig with index lines to mark where I drilled for hidden hinges. Marked, then off to the drill press. My little gauge is long lost (see the Rockler version) and I have simply marked my doors one at a time since I will usually do no more than two to six doors on a replacement.

But one of my amigos is going to build a few cabinets for himself and wants to put concealed hinges on the doors. I am used to measuring and for multiple doors or hardware pieces I always make a marking jig. (That way, if I screw up everything is wrong!) He can't measure well, doesn't understand jigs, and has no drill press.

I found this, and remember it was quite a bit more $$ in an earlier iteration. Gets great reviews, and even comes with that pesky 35mm bit with carbide cutters! Seems like a helluva steal, but just interested to see if anyone has used one of these. They sell them everywhere, about this price:

https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-Company-.../dp/B01JQ74FMQ

Seems he could just clamp with a couple of squeeze clamps and drill away after getting set up. Certainly inexpensive enough to buy for the few cabinets he is going to make. Would really like to try it out myself!

Anyone use one of these? Thoughts? Keep in mind this isn't a production tool and he isn't opening a shop. He might do about 6=8 doors on this first go around.

Robert

Old January 11th 18, 11:51 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/11/18 4:32 PM, wrote:
[...]

*IF* it's a great bit, it might be worth the price to just try it out.
I bought a really nice cutting bit and use my small (portable) drill
press set up with stops.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/f...de-tipped-35mm
That's what I use, with a shop vac to suck up the chips, when I have o
drill a lot of these.
That jig seems like a good way to go about it when you only have a few
doors and don't already own a good bit.
I can't imagine that bit being sharp for very long, but again, if you're
only doing a few doors, ok.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Old January 12th 18, 02:43 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

The only concern I might have is with the cam adjustmnts that position the
jig from the stile edge of the door. That distance, normally 1/8" on euro
hinges, is critical. Too far away from the edge and the door will rub the
face frame every time the door is opened or closed.

Old January 12th 18, 04:43 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/18 8:43 AM, Leon wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I watched the promo video on that link.
I guess the pros for it are the depth stop and horizontal guide, the
guide holes for the hinge screws, and the fact that the 35mm bit is
quickly removable. BTW, it *is* the same style of bit I have, with the
carbide cutters that slice a the circumference of the hole before
hogging out the inside-- so I guess that's another pro.

The cons in my mind...
-The have an adjustable edge stop, why no integrated vertical
positioning stop?
-Two clamps!? I mean, I know there's no way to clamp the center of the
thing. My guess is, after about 3 holes, you're going to quit using one
or both clamps. Once the 35mm bit enters the surface of the door, it's
not going anywhere.

In any case, considering I high quality 35mm bit can be 30 bucks, alone,
I think it would be great for someone who's not real confident at
drilling for cup hinges. I'm not sure that would save you or I any time
or accuracy. I can use a marking guide and have door 6 hole locations
marked on the door by the time I lined that thing up to a mark. Then I
can have the first cup hole drilled, free hand (using the height of the
bit as a depth guide) before I'd have those two clamped attached. That
would get me through 3 or 4 doors, until I decided I wanted to set up a
drill press station.

If someone were buying this to replace hinges in their entire kitchen,
they'd be better off getting a drill press and setting up a station with
stops. You can get an able bench-top press for well under $100.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Old January 12th 18, 04:47 PM posted to rec.woodworking

I'm not following. Isn't that what the cam adjustments are for on the jig? Are you saying that they may not be sturdy enough to hold it well?

And Mike, good thoughts on the drill bit. They sell this contraption at Woodcraft so I can go over there sometime next week and make sure the carbide bit has two little ears on it that cut as well. I remember way back when when the cheaper sets did not have that.

Robert

Old January 12th 18, 05:15 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/12/18 10:47 AM, wrote:
I'm not following. Isn't that what the cam adjustments are for on the
jig? Are you saying that they may not be sturdy enough to hold it
well?

And Mike, good thoughts on the drill bit. They sell this contraption
at Woodcraft so I can go over there sometime next week and make sure
the carbide bit has two little ears on it that cut as well. I
remember way back when when the cheaper sets did not have that.

Robert

It does have the "ears" on the edges.
https://www.kregtool.com/store/c61/h...hinge-jig-bit/
Considering they sell the replacement bit for 17 bucks, it makes me
wonder how long it would stay sharp.

The expensive bit I have did noticeably dull about 2/3 into the project
for which I bought it. The "ears" didn't dull and still cut perfectly
clean edges, but the flat "hogging" cutting edges seemed to slow down
quite a bit.
At least they're flat and can be resharpened on the fly.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Old January 12th 18, 09:24 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 11, 2018, wrote
(in ):

https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-Company-KHI-HINGE-Concealed-Hinge/dp/B01JQ74FMQ

Seems he could just clamp with a couple of squeeze clamps and drill away
after getting set up. Certainly inexpensive enough to buy for the few
cabinets he is going to make. Would really like to try it out myself!

Anyone use one of these? Thoughts? Keep in mind this isn't a production tool
and he isn't opening a shop. He might do about 6=8 doors on this first go
around.

Robert

I have never used this jig, but when I did my usual Amazon assessment by
reading thr one-star reviews, then too-star, and so on, a few bg themes
emerged: The forstner drill bit is too dull to be used, from the start. The
design does not allow adequate shaving excavation. The plastic bearing that
aligns and locates the fostner bit soon melts (probably due to and/or
triggered by the dull fostner bit heating up).

At which point I baled out.

Joe Gwinn