Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default LED filament bulbs

On 16/01/2018 18:49, Max Demian wrote:
On 16/01/2018 17:31, harry wrote:
Came across this, interesting.
https://ledlam.co.uk/how-do-led-filament-work

What an odd idea. Make a super-duper LED lamp that emulates a pre-WW2
incandescent.

I find its actually a very good idea - I use them almost exclusively.
The main attraction (other than being nicer to look at in applications
where you can see the bulb) is the 360 degree radiation pattern, that
closely resembles a GLS lamp. Hence any fittings that use the lamp cap
down or the whole lamp side on, still give the intended illumination.

There is a second significant advantage, in that the strips are
typically arranged into relatively high voltage chains such that they
can be be wired in sets of 4 directly across the mains with no need to
use dropper capacitors. Hence better reliability and less temperature
sensitive ageing.

--
Cheers,

John.