Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Anyone try the Kreg hinge jig?

-MIKE- writes:
On 1/15/18 9:21 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I have a couple of cabinet doors that need hinges, so I ordered the
Kreg jig, it arrived yesterday. I'll give it a try this
afternoon and report back. First impressions were that it
was definitely worth the price - the forstner bit looks well
made with nickers and full carbide cutters.

Looking forward to the report.

tl;dnr The jig worked as advertised.

After removing from the blisterpack, and RTFM, I removed
the handy click-on protective cap from the bit, wiped
the thin coat of light oil and inspected the carbide cutters.

There are two full radius carbide cutters with two diamond
shaped carbide nickers leading each cutter by 90 degrees.

http://www.lurndal.org/images/forstner_bit.jpg

After removing the drill collar from the base, I installed the
bit and snugged the stop collar up to the ledge milled into the
shank at the correct point to produce the
correct depth-of-cut. The supplied allen wrench stores conveniently in a
snap-in space on the bottom of the base of the jig.

I clamped the stock in the tailvise, then clamped the jig to
the stock/bench, chucked the bit into the drill, installed
the guide into the base (a quarter turn locks it in place)
and drilled the hole effortlessly. The bit cut clean and
fast.

http://www.lurndal.org/images/done_drilling.jpg

Two holes on the jig guide a 1/16" bit to pre-drill for the
hinge screws.

http://www.lurndal.org/images/final_hole.jpg

The offset from the edge of the stile was exactly as specified
per the manual with the offset adjustment cams set to 5. The
cams are solid and will not shift in use.

Worth the price, at least with one hole drilled so far, I see
no reason that this wouldn't suffice for someone who builds a few
cabinets anually, and may even be more convenient than a drill press
in some cases.