Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Need help INTERPRETING these test results police cruiser SAEJ866a Chase Test

On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 11:52:04 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:

New vehicles must meet federal performance standards€”a minimum
stopping distance in a variety of situations under a specified pedal
effort. Many consumers assume all aftermarket replacement pads will
perform just as well or better than factory parts, but that's not
necessarily the case.

This whole thing seems a bit silly to me. It's a test for police
cars. I would expect that all cars can lock the wheels with a
power assisted force that's well within the range that a typical
driver can apply. That's one of the reasons we went to anti-lock
brakes, right? Because once it's locked, you need to release force
to keep it moving to keep control. So, why police would be so worried
about how much force it takes on the pedal, IDK. ARe they such wusses
that they can't apply reasonable force that would lock the wheels
in panic situations? Those force numbers required are all within what
any cop that's fit for duty can apply. So, what's the point?
I agree with Clare, there are plenty of other issues here that are
more important than the friction. IMO, unless it's some unusual
situation, this friction thing is mostly a red herring in selecting
brake pads.