Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_7_] dadiOH[_7_] is offline

Default Jointing On A Router Table - Can't Keep Even Pressure

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 5:14:12 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 3:10:56 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

At 36" long I have to move my hands and when I do, I get a bump in the

jointed edge.

Bumps, not indents. Can you sand the bumps off? I'm aware you prefer to
get the best results using the router, but sanding may be your last
resort. Unless someone has a resolution to your issue.

I'm suspecting your fences are not in line, on the same plane,
parallel.... hence the "wobble" in the motion of the run through the
cutter, i.e., it's not the movement of your hands or hands' position.
Mis-aligned fences would make the ends of your finished (erred) cut be
out of line with the rest of the length of the board/edge, despite any
bumps, i.e., even if you sand them down. Does that make sense?

Sonny

Either I'm not understanding what you are saying or you misunderstand me.
Not arguing, just trying to clarify.

Here's my side of it...let me know if I'm missing what you are saying.

When jointing on a router table, the fences are *supposed* to be
mis-aligned.
The out-feed fence is supposed to be about 1/16" closer to the operator than
the in-feed fence.

Yes, fences are supposed to be mis-aligned but they are also supposed to be
parallel. Yours don't seem to be. Easiest way to set them...

1. Set both sides in line, slightly back of front edge of bit

2. Run a piece of wood through until you have at least a foot on the outfeed
side

3. Turn off router and close the gap between work piece and fence by moving
outfeed fence to work piece