Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_5_] Leon[_5_] is offline

Default Jointing On A Router Table - Can't Keep Even Pressure

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 7:32:36 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/13/2018 3:10 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm trying to joint some 1 x 8 poplar on my router table so I can glue up
a panel. Each piece is 36" long. I have the out-feed fence 1/16" proud of
the in-feed fence.

I understand that you are supposed to keep pressure on the out-feed fence
but I can't seem to keep even pressure as I move the board along. At 36"
long I have to move my hands and when I do, I get a bump in the jointed
edge. I tried to clamp 2 feather boards to the table on the out-feed side,
but I'm still getting 2-3 bumps on the jointed edge because of hand
movement.

Neither fence nor the table is long enough to use push paddles for the
entire 36". Is that part of the problem?

Is there any way to get rid of the bumps so I can do a gap free glue-up?

The fence offset MUST ABSOLUTELY BE SET EXACTLY to the the depth of the
cut.

Yes, the out-feed fence is flush with the cutting surface of the bit.

Apply pressure to the in feed side until you have enough on the
out feed side that you can finish the pass.

Yes, but my problem is on the out-feed side. While working on the
out-feed side, any, *any* let-up in pressure against the fence causes the
bump.

Yeah, even using a jointer is a learned talent. Using a router table
increases the difficulty because it does not compare to a jointer.
Theoretically you should be able to saw a board as accurately with a hand
saw as with a TS. See where I'm going here? :-). The less appropriate
the tool, the less you should expect.

I can tell you how to do this on your TS, if you have a TS, and a scrap
piece of plywood that is 3+' long.

Thanks, but I am aware of that method.