Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Jointing On A Router Table - Can't Keep Even Pressure

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 5:14:12 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 3:10:56 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

At 36" long I have to move my hands and when I do, I get a bump in the

jointed edge.

Bumps, not indents. Can you sand the bumps off? I'm aware you prefer to get the best results using the router, but sanding may be your last resort. Unless someone has a resolution to your issue.

I'm suspecting your fences are not in line, on the same plane, parallel..... hence the "wobble" in the motion of the run through the cutter, i.e., it's not the movement of your hands or hands' position. Mis-aligned fences would make the ends of your finished (erred) cut be out of line with the rest of the length of the board/edge, despite any bumps, i.e., even if you sand them down. Does that make sense?

Sonny

Either I'm not understanding what you are saying or you misunderstand me.
Not arguing, just trying to clarify.

Here's my side of it...let me know if I'm missing what you are saying.

When jointing on a router table, the fences are *supposed* to be mis-aligned.
The out-feed fence is supposed to be about 1/16" closer to the operator than
the in-feed fence. The bit is then aligned flush with the face of the out-feed
fence. With pressure kept on the out-feed table, you are supposed to
get an edge that is flat and perfect square with the face of the board,
just like on a jointer.

My problem is that I am not able to keep consistent pressure on the
out-feed fence as I reposition my hands. I get the bump shown below because
board is moving away from the bit just a little, therefore less than 1/16"
of wood is being removed until my hands are back in place applying pressure
against the fence.

https://i.imgur.com/hjSOHrP.jpg

While sanding or planing is a possible solution, there is always the danger
of taking off just a little to much and causing a gap. From what I've read
or watched, this method is supposed to work, so ether it's my technique
or my equipment.