Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Bagwell William Bagwell is offline

Default Belt Sander/Grinder

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 11:37:05 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 22:54:15 -0500, William Bagwell
wrote:

Ah, 2013.

"Worked in a plastics factory for six years. Dozens and dozens of
the $10 to $15 Harbor Freight die grinders. (Owner was a bit
cheap...) While some broke while new, amazingly many of them ran for
*years* on wet nasty unfiltered air with only occasional oiling.

What they all lacked was the power to take a heavy cut. The lone
Sioux in the plant was passed around constantly for heavy cuts and
it too survived on unfiltered compressed air. Sioux makes good
stuff! Wish I could afford to buy a dozen:-("

Why couldn't you get the owner to pony up the $28 it cost for a FRL
unit after a few of the tools died? Air would then have been
filtered, dried, and oiled.

Most of the early deaths had nothing to do with the unfiltered air.
Brief period before I started of engraving the date on all tools
which is how I knew some of them were as old as seven years when
they finally died. (Of course they could have been 'squirreled' for
part of that time...)

They did buy a huge used air dryer that proved to be the wrong type.
Never ran while I was there... But yes, the owner would have been
ecstatic over a $28 solution. Still occasionally get called about
things so may get to pass this on.
--
William