Old December 27th 17, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Belt Sander/Grinder

I know the knife guys are all gungho about the 2x72 belt grinders these
days, but I was wondering how many other metal works really like using
these. Seems like some guys like to use them for both steel and wood.
Oddly what I have heard seems backwards. They grind fast with steel and
slower with wood.

Do you have one? Do you use it often? Are you on the fence about the
cost, but would use one if you had it?

I have a 1x30 that gets a fair amount of use, and a 4x36 that doesn't
mostly because its gutless. I probably use my 1x30 as a belt grinder
about the same amount as my bench grinder.

I can build one if I want. Of course if I really wanted I imagine I
could put a bigger motor on my 4x36 too.

Old December 28th 17, 10:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 12:49:37 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

I know the knife guys are all gungho about the 2x72 belt grinders these
days, but I was wondering how many other metal works really like using
these. Seems like some guys like to use them for both steel and wood.
Oddly what I have heard seems backwards. They grind fast with steel and
slower with wood.

Do you have one? Do you use it often? Are you on the fence about the
cost, but would use one if you had it?

I have a 1x30 that gets a fair amount of use, and a 4x36 that doesn't
mostly because its gutless. I probably use my 1x30 as a belt grinder
about the same amount as my bench grinder.

I can build one if I want. Of course if I really wanted I imagine I
could put a bigger motor on my 4x36 too.

This is what I use

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pj4b7Lc9X7mtCtWk1

Having a 2"x 72 BurrKing has never been on my list of Have to Haves

---

Old December 30th 17, 12:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I know the knife guys are all gungho about the 2x72 belt grinders these
days, but I was wondering how many other metal works really like using
these. Seems like some guys like to use them for both steel and wood.
Oddly what I have heard seems backwards. They grind fast with steel and
slower with wood.

Do you have one? Do you use it often? Are you on the fence about the
cost, but would use one if you had it?

I have a 1x30 that gets a fair amount of use, and a 4x36 that doesn't
mostly because its gutless. I probably use my 1x30 as a belt grinder
about the same amount as my bench grinder.

I can build one if I want. Of course if I really wanted I imagine I
could put a bigger motor on my 4x36 too.

I built one for my middle son. He doesn't use it as much as he would
like, having an intern wife and a toddler son. He has slowed it down
and used it on wood recently (making Christmas presents), but didn't
tell me how it worked.

I built it with interchangeable tool arms, one a large urethane tired
wheel, and the other a flat platen with guide rollers either side.
There's a steering roller on the top which works very well. The belts
can be adjusted side to side within ~1/16", and stay true after an
adjustment. It's mounted on a bell crank with a pneumatic cylinder
actuator used to adjust belt tension (via regulator) and release the
belt for changes (3-way valve).

The motor is an old 1 hp 3 ph somebody gave me, and I put my spare
Rockwell vfd on it to provide the 3 phase and adjust the speed.

Ben built the frame out of 1-1/2 pipe and 1" sq tube, so that the
frame is manifolded together and serves as the air reservoir, charged
with his small compressor. The reservoir lasts at least one day, the
regulator bleed rate is very low.

It was a lot of fun to design and build. I don't think I'll build
another unless we move. My current shop is too small. My wife wants
to be closer to the grandson, and we have a lot of relatives in the
Houston area, so that might happen, but not unless we can find the
right place with a good shop building and a place for my special needs
son.

We'll see.

Pete Keillor
Old December 30th 17, 11:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I know the knife guys are all gungho about the 2x72 belt grinders these
days, but I was wondering how many other metal works really like using
these. Seems like some guys like to use them for both steel and wood.
Oddly what I have heard seems backwards. They grind fast with steel and
slower with wood.

Yeah, I use my little Delta 1x30 that way, wood and metal, but it's a
single speed model.

Do you have one? Do you use it often? Are you on the fence about the
cost, but would use one if you had it?

I have a 1x30 that gets a fair amount of use, and a 4x36 that doesn't
mostly because its gutless. I probably use my 1x30 as a belt grinder
about the same amount as my bench grinder.

I have the HF 4x36 which I hand start because of its powerful motor.
snort Works just fine, and was worth every bit of its $36.

[...]

Wow, that's a helluva sander. Probably a one-of-a-kind. Got pics
posted somewhere?

It was a lot of fun to design and build. I don't think I'll build
another unless we move. My current shop is too small. My wife wants
to be closer to the grandson, and we have a lot of relatives in the
Houston area, so that might happen, but not unless we can find the
right place with a good shop building and a place for my special needs
son.

Your boy couldn't ask for a more loving family, Pete. Good man.

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand
Old January 1st 18, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the kind words, Larry.

I never posted pics because I thought I might submit it to one of the
hobby machinist magazines. Doubt I'll ever get around to that, and
now that MWDropbox is out of action, I'll have to find a new forum to
post pics.

I took inspiration from the Beaumont Metal Works KMG grinder, but
designed my own with the pneumatic adjustment, shoulder screws for
axles, mostly counter sunk socket head screws, and double tool arm
sockets. That last was a suggestion my son got that I doubt will ever
get used. I'd omit it if I built another.

Any suggestions on posting sites? Do folks have any preferences
between practical machinist and hobby machinist? Or others?

Pete Keillor

Old January 2nd 18, 05:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Many people use a Tormek.
I do. Belts are nice to do basic shape and grind off metal.
A precision grinder that holds the knife grinds the edge to an angle.
I put 18 degree edges on my wife's knives and she loves each one.

Martin

Old January 3rd 18, 02:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 01 Jan 2018 09:53:11 -0600, Pete Keillor
wrote:

Thanks for the kind words, Larry.

You're very welcome, Pete.

I never posted pics because I thought I might submit it to one of the
hobby machinist magazines. Doubt I'll ever get around to that, and
now that MWDropbox is out of action, I'll have to find a new forum to
post pics.

I took inspiration from the Beaumont Metal Works KMG grinder, but
designed my own with the pneumatic adjustment, shoulder screws for
axles, mostly counter sunk socket head screws, and double tool arm
sockets. That last was a suggestion my son got that I doubt will ever
get used. I'd omit it if I built another.

Double tool arm sockets? Evocative name, anyway.

Any suggestions on posting sites? Do folks have any preferences
between practical machinist and hobby machinist? Or others?

People put things on Pinterest, Flikr, and other places, as well as PM
and other sites. I put my stuff on my website, HM, and Pinterest.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-...-sites-3486329
List of 11 free hosts.

Old January 10th 18, 09:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I personally don't have a belt grinder, but I'm considering getting one. By luck, I was recently going through the Grizzly Industrial Catalog and saw their belt grinder that appears to be worth trying. Then I googled and found a review on it along with other grinders - https://mechanicguides.com/best-belt-grinders/ .

Has anyone on here used the Grizzly? If so, could you describe the quality?

Thanks!
Old January 10th 18, 10:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/10/2018 2:45 AM, wrote:
I personally don't have a belt grinder, but I'm considering getting

one. By luck, I was recently going through the Grizzly Industrial
Catalog and saw their belt grinder that appears to be worth trying. Then
I googled and found a review on it along with other grinders -
https://mechanicguides.com/best-belt-grinders/ .

Has anyone on here used the Grizzly? If so, could you describe the

quality?

Thanks!

The little baby 1x30 Grizzly they show in that review is probably better
quality than a similar Harbor Freight model (which I happen to own and
use daily for deburring steel) but its not in the same class as the 2x72
machines. Its really not even in the same school.

Old January 11th 18, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Make sure you can buy 30 inch belts from more than just them.
Sure customs. Better if off the shelf. Klingspor is a very high
quality belt and sand paper company. http://www.woodworkingshop.com/

Martin