Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF 61169 inverter generator question

wrote in message
I have one that i bought about 5 months ago. Took it camping snd
worked flawlessly for the whole trip (about 4 days). Put it away for 2
mo. until our next trip. It once again worked flawlessly until the 2nd
night. Out of nowhere it just shot off ftom running great. Started it
up again but this time as soon as I start moving the lever to the run
position the overload light came on and the unit turned off. Couldn't
get it to stay on do i put it away. When i got home, I checked and
cleaned the air filter, took apart the carburetor entirely, checked
spark plug. All that work to no prevail. It still wont stay on on
unles the lever is on the start position. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. ..

===================

Blowing compressed air through the carburetor passages cured mine of
that. The carb is simple and easy to disassemble, but take note of
where the hoses go and how the electric motor linkage is connected.
The idle screw gap fit a #33 (0.113"/2.9mm) drill bit shank.

I never saw whatever clogged it so I don't know exactly how I fixed
it. I suspect the blockage was in the pilot (idle) air passage that
ends in a small hole beyond the throttle plate. It begins as a larger
round hole in the intake opening, and on mine another hole from
outside the air cleaner intersects it at a right angle.

Plugging this unfiltered air entrance didn't seem to affect engine
operation. I asked HF and r.c.m. if another genny's carb had that hole
plugged but got no answer. I made a storage plug / idle screw gauge on
the lathe to keep bugs out, attached to a red "remove before flight"
ribbon that extends out of the access cover to remind me to remove it
and check the oil.

After the repair it held 121V and 60Hz solidly at up to a 19A+
resistive load, about an Amp above spec. I confirmed that it doesn't
interfere with my antenna TV and can start my refrigerator or
microwave, so I didn't exchange it under warranty for the smaller
model that HF currently sells.

https://www.vpowerequipment.com/gene...tor-carburetor
In June 2017 they told me the control module is the common failure and
they hadn't found a source for spares.
-jsw