Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF 61169 inverter generator question

Harbor Freight 61169 is the discontinued 2500W/2200W inverter
generator. If anyone here has one, could you tell me if the hole in
the left side of the carburetor above the G in RUIXING is open or
plugged?

Mine surged badly at idle when run at the most recent 3 month
interval. The cure was removing the idle stop screw and prying up the
black idle or pilot jet the screw head holds in, and blowing out the
jet and the idle passage that exits beyond the throttle plate.

The main jet and emulsion tube also remove easily out the bottom. It's
a pretty simple carb to disassemble and clean. I used a numbered drill
shank to measure the idle stop screw setting.

The first time I blew air into the end of the passage on the left side
of throat inlet some carb cleaner unexpectedly came out the side,
through the type of hole that's normally plugged with a brass ball.
But its ID doesn't look like anything was ever pressed into it.

The engine now idles as smoothly with the hole open or my finger over
it, as the idle passage is also fed through the air cleaner, but it's
a possible entry for dirt or small insects which might have been the
original problem. The carb bowl was clean.

Afterwards I tested the genny at full load with two coffee pots and a
hotplate (pure resistance) plugged into a 20A Variac. The output held
121V right up to 19A, then dipped as the OUTPUT light turned off and
OVERLOAD came on. Switching the load on and off at 18A didn't change
the KAW output voltage reading at the other outlet. I think the
current reached 22A briefly, on the analog Variac meter.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 21:51:42 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
Harbor Freight 61169 is the discontinued 2500W/2200W inverter
generator. If anyone here has one, could you tell me if the hole in
the left side of the carburetor above the G in RUIXING is open or
plugged?

I poked around on youtube and mostly found reviews... There was one
video on converting it to propane though that you might find of
interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHBCXpDdj-k

The kit came from:

http://www.motorsnorkel.com/

Might be part number 3103. The rubber gasket worked but wasn't an exact
match for this generator. He had to stretch it a little to get the
holes lined up.

There was a couple spots where you could sorta see the left side of the
carb but I don't think it shows what you want.

Video is 11:42 long and download was 44mb.

I liked the kit. It is a thick rubber washer that goes in between the
carb and air cleaner. Uses a couple of regulators for propane. Guy said
it cost him $231. Ouch! but propane would be nice for intermittent
generator use...

I know your band-width limitations, so I tried to add some details in
case you hadn't seen this and were interested

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 21:51:42 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
[...]

Thanks. I used up most of my monthly 1.5GB cellular internet allotment
searching, and am back on dialup. That's the disadvantage of having
antenna TV instead of cable.

This shows the small hole into the idle air passage on the right above
the larger blind hole. The other brass-plugged manufacturing access
hole is obviously yellow.
http://www.vpowerequipment.com/gener...tor-carburetor

The company name ruiXing and model 127 are identical. They didn't
answer the phone in person or call back. I can leave the hole plugged
during storage since I remove the side cover to check the oil before
starting anyway.

-jw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
news
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 21:51:42 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
[...]

I just looked at the very similar carb on a 6.5HP 212cc Predator
engine. That hole was never drilled although the boss has an
indentation there to center a drill bit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 11:44:07 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

This shows the small hole into the idle air passage on the right above
the larger blind hole. The other brass-plugged manufacturing access
hole is obviously yellow.

http://www.vpowerequipment.com/gener...tor-carburetor

That image is way better than what was in the youtube video.

I just looked at the very similar carb on a 6.5HP 212cc Predator
engine. That hole was never drilled although the boss has an
indentation there to center a drill bit.

I've got one of those stashed away, still in the box. Bought it several
years ago and haven't gotten around to using it yet...

It sounds like your better off with it plugged and remembering such,
just in case it really shouldn't be.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 11:44:07 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

...6.5HP 212cc Predator engine...

I've got one of those stashed away, still in the box. Bought it
several
years ago and haven't gotten around to using it yet...

It sounds like your better off with it plugged and remembering such,
just in case it really shouldn't be.
--
Leon Fisk

I tested it on my log splitter last year, to reveal any manufacturing
defect during the return window. It was a direct bolt-on swap for the
5.5HP Tecumseh. Apparently the protruding muffler blocks installing it
on a brush chipper.

It worked fine and was quieter and more convenient to start and stop
than the Tecumseh. I'm hoping it will work out better on the sawmill
which could use more HP and is awkward to pull-start in the raised
position.

I think I'll turn a brass plug for the hole, attached to a long red
ribbon marked "Remove Before Flight".

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 13:53:41 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
I think I'll turn a brass plug for the hole, attached to a long red
ribbon marked "Remove Before Flight".

I found some more images of the H127 carb at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/H127-180cc-Ru...dp/B00WC29C8A/

There is no hole in these where I understand yours to be.

I used this search, there were other images but I didn't check them out:

https://www.amazon.com/s/url=search-...ing+carburetor

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 13:53:41 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
I think I'll turn a brass plug for the hole, attached to a long red
ribbon marked "Remove Before Flight".

I found some more images of the H127 carb at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/H127-180cc-Ru...dp/B00WC29C8A/

There is no hole in these where I understand yours to be.

I used this search, there were other images but I didn't check them
out:
https://www.amazon.com/s/url=search-...ing+carburetor
--
Leon Fisk

It isn't the same, it has an idle (mis)adjustment screw where mine is
plugged, as in the Vpower carb photo. I can't tell if the throttle
motor bracket and linkage and the choke lever from mine would fit.

Mine is fine now and I know how to disassemble, clean it.and make it
work again. The suspicious hole fits the same drill shank size as the
idle stop screw protrusion, #33, so the pin I made to block the hole
during storage is also the idle speed screw setting gauge. The
flexible rim on the head of that screw retains the pilot jet and it
needs to come out for a cleaning. .

I haven't yet found why HF replaced the 61169 with the less powerful
62523 model. It doesn't hiccup running my microwave which pulls 5A,
then 18A at start, then 13A continuously. One review complained that
the current model jams his ham radio. Today I confirmed that the 61169
doesn't interfere with my antenna TV reception. The APC1400 UPS which
refuses to accept AC from my conventional Coleman generators plays
well with this one, only warning about the floating neutral. The frame
is connected to a ground rod.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have one that i bought about 5 months ago. Took it camping snd worked flawlessly for the whole trip (about 4 days). Put it away for 2 mo. until our next trip. It once again worked flawlessly until the 2nd night. Out of nowhere it just shot off ftom running great. Started it up again but this time as soon as I start moving the lever to the run position the overload light came on and the unit turned off. Couldn't get it to stay on do i put it away. When i got home, I checked and cleaned the air filter, took apart the carburetor entirely, checked spark plug. All that work to no prevail. It still wont stay on on unles the lever is on the start position. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ..
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I have one that i bought about 5 months ago. Took it camping snd
worked flawlessly for the whole trip (about 4 days). Put it away for 2
mo. until our next trip. It once again worked flawlessly until the 2nd
night. Out of nowhere it just shot off ftom running great. Started it
up again but this time as soon as I start moving the lever to the run
position the overload light came on and the unit turned off. Couldn't
get it to stay on do i put it away. When i got home, I checked and
cleaned the air filter, took apart the carburetor entirely, checked
spark plug. All that work to no prevail. It still wont stay on on
unles the lever is on the start position. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. ..

===================

Blowing compressed air through the carburetor passages cured mine of
that. The carb is simple and easy to disassemble, but take note of
where the hoses go and how the electric motor linkage is connected.
The idle screw gap fit a #33 (0.113"/2.9mm) drill bit shank.

I never saw whatever clogged it so I don't know exactly how I fixed
it. I suspect the blockage was in the pilot (idle) air passage that
ends in a small hole beyond the throttle plate. It begins as a larger
round hole in the intake opening, and on mine another hole from
outside the air cleaner intersects it at a right angle.

Plugging this unfiltered air entrance didn't seem to affect engine
operation. I asked HF and r.c.m. if another genny's carb had that hole
plugged but got no answer. I made a storage plug / idle screw gauge on
the lathe to keep bugs out, attached to a red "remove before flight"
ribbon that extends out of the access cover to remind me to remove it
and check the oil.

After the repair it held 121V and 60Hz solidly at up to a 19A+
resistive load, about an Amp above spec. I confirmed that it doesn't
interfere with my antenna TV and can start my refrigerator or
microwave, so I didn't exchange it under warranty for the smaller
model that HF currently sells.

https://www.vpowerequipment.com/gene...tor-carburetor
In June 2017 they told me the control module is the common failure and
they hadn't found a source for spares.
-jsw