Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generac Generator EXL5500 start problems

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 10:07:00 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sun, 7 Jan 2018 20:47:20 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 2:14:09 PM UTC-5, Jeff Stout wrote:
replying to Whaler Guy, Jeff Stout wrote:
Same problem with our GP5500, broke the dogs in the pull starter. Used
emergency nylon strap around 2 inch hub, you could pull this boat anchor
around the yard trying to start it. Sad part is Generac lays no claim to this
problem and this problem usually becomes evident at less than 50 hrs of run
time. When you leave a comment on there site there's not response it just
disappears?.
--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ms-340069-.htm

Usually those hard to start problems with small engines that are infrequently
used are due to fouled carbs. Did you take it apart, clean it? You can
find rebuild kits on Ebay for $10, probably a new carb for not a lot too.
I just had that problem with my snowblower. In an hour I had it running.

I have had the same hard to start with my 5 kw gen. Take the carb apart
and clean it, then the gen will start with one or two pulls. Let it set
for 2 or 3 months and no start.. I finally drained the tank and let it
run dry, same as some of the other seldom used engines. Now fill it and
it will usually start in 3 or less pulls. Just have to remember to give
it a few minutes to let the carb refill.

Put a propane kit on it and kiss your gasoline problems goodbye.

I installed a lot of Generac automatic standby generators running on natural gas for homes and businesses but I modified several portable gensets for customers so they would run on natural gas. I purchased the carb kit from the small engine repair and supply company in town. I also installed a leak-proof quick connect fuel line so it would be easy to hook the genset to the NG line. The fuel pressure regulator had to be adjusted for the particular fuel being used. I seem to recall 11 inches of water column for natural gas. It's been a long time and lots of brain cells have died since then so I don't remember the pressure for propane. I'd have to do a web search. Anyway, the thing about running an engine on NG is that the spark plugs seem to last forever and the engine oil stays clean for a long time. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Generated Monster