Paul J S Green

Default Making an external door

It is do'able Paul, but the door itself, if it is a real fire door, will

be
strong enough to handle a car hitting it if the hinges and standards take
the strain.

By putting bead flat around the existing surface, it will actually give

the
effect of the centre panels being recessed, an optical illusion I think

they
call it, especially if the surrounding doors have the same pattern.

Like this effect:

http://tinyurl.com/hx7l

If you look closely, you'll see that the bead work is actually laid on top
of a flat surface, but because of the effect of the bead, it actually

looks
as though the centre panels are sunken.

Worth a try with bead you already have. You'll be cutting it to shape
anyway, so there is nothing stopping you placing it temporarily on the

door
to see what it looks like without the outer ply.

Is the bead the approx 6" wide planks?

If I went ahead with my original plan, do you have a view on whether screws
will be needed and if so, how best to camoflage the the holes?

Thanks again
Paul