Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default OT China stopping plastic waste imports.

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

What I don't know is what happens to the plastic waste that gets
recycled. Clearly, from recent headlines about China not taking any
more of the stuff, a lot was actually exported and not recycled in the
UK. Which raises the question 'what happens to the exported stuff?' Is
a lot of it just dumped in the sea in the Far East, in which case
there is cause for concern, but it just means we should up our game
when it comes to recycling here in the UK, not blindly run campaigns
to reduce the use of plastics all together.

About 5 years ago, there was a beeb documentary about a Chinese entrepreneur
who spotted Chinese container ships arriving in the UK and leaving - empty.
No surprises there.

Can't remember her name but she formed a company and "bought" our plastic
waste and sent it home. They turned it into nylon thread and sold it to
clothes manufacturers. Needless to say, she became a multi millionaire.