Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Comments on Spare Wheel Alternatives

On 31/12/2017 16:42, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 15:25:41 +0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

snip

You still need frequent inspections as you have no other mechanism to
check

Yes, like I said, it's the drivers responsibility ...

and to quote from the manufacturer..

"Punctureseal s warranty is for the tread area of the tyre only.

Of course?

The
tread area has sufficient rubber and plys for adequate flexing and
recovery.

Yup.

Sidewall construction is extremely thin, especially in radial
tyres. Punctureseal is capable of providing minor repairs to the
sidewall/crown areas. But due to vast variance in tyre manufacturing and
subsequent wounds that may severely damage the tyres structural
integrity, Punctureseal does not consider sidewall/crown repairs as
positive repairs."

And hence why it doesn't generally work with such punctures? I can't
'fix' the tyre, it can only stop it leaking air whilst preventing
contamination of the inside of the hole, like most other repair
solutions?

So the manufacturer only thinks its OK for about 75% of the tread width.

That's right?

I expect its also illegal on any car with TPM as it is likely to stop it
working as it seals the valve cores.

Does it now? Where does it say it 'seals the valve cores' and why
would it? If you understood where the TPM's were located and how they
worked you would see that was highly unlikely.

From the manufacturer..
"Once a tyre has been treated with Punctureseal, frequent air pressure
checks will not be necessary, although visual tyre inspections are still
very important. Air pressure checks can be accomplished during the
routine vehicle Preventative Maintenance (PM) schedules. In order to
check air pressure, remember that Punctureseal is standing on guard to
prevent air loss. If you check air pressure without first blowing a
slight amount of air into the valve, Punctureseal will most likely seal
off the valve core. It is important to clear the valve core and stem of
any Punctureseal prior to checking air pressure. This is accomplished
by simply blowing a small amount of air through the valve and into the
tyre, this will clear the passage and allow for proper air pressure
reading. Puctureseal will not ruin the valve core. If the core gets
clogged, remove and rinse with water and reinstall (see installation tips)."

... or are you just looking for another strawman? ;-)

I just read the technical guide and it doesn't look very good IMO.
(Unless you are driving a military vehicle and you want to plug bullet
holes for a few hours.)

I don't see any reference to TPMs
in the guide.

Howabout in here, a test conducted at the Millbrook Testing Ground
using "Stack TPMS Sensors" ... ?

http://www.punctureseal.com/document...est-Report.pdf

And where did they actually check the TPMs was actually working?
They just used it instead of putting a stick guage on the valve AFAICS.

I've also asked them by email previously (for someone else) and they
say they have had no issues using Punctureseal with TPMs.

Well them not having a problem with TPMs isn't the same as TPMs having a
problem with punctureseal.

Now if you have any TPMs manufacturer saying that its not going to be a
problem that would be different.

Cheers, T i m