Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Comments on Spare Wheel Alternatives

On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 11:54:52 +0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

snip

Or, assuming you don't have tyre pressure sensors, could you drive
some distance at some speed with a slowly deflating tyre and hope that
you 'notice' the tyre is soft before it explodes?

I have sensors.

Ok.

they are now compulsory on new cars, the EU saw to that.

What's that, the EU did something good! shrug

Another reason to stay/comply with the regs.

Ok.

When you get a puncture repaired traditionally (plug / mushroom), how
much of the fabric (plys etc) of the tyre is inspected (within the
hole) to ensure no damage has been done?

Modern tyres don't need much inspection, long gone are the days where
any damage to the cords required a new tyre.

Ok.

(And to the days of tyre repair operators prodding at the hole with a
screwdriver until they broke the cords and you needed a new tyre.)

Ok.

Damage to the side wall is non repairable

Correct.

as is anything close to the
edge of the tread as they flex too much and there is no reliable repair
not even punctureseal.

Are you sure about that? The thing is, if you try to plug a hole with
a chunk of rubber, even if 'vulcanised' to the inside, then it is
still a physical object stuck in the hole (especially if they drill /
file the hole bigger to fir a plug etc). Punctureseal, being a fibrous
gel is stuck into the insides of the hole and retains the same levels
of flexibility of the tyre itself.

This link gives an idea of what can be repaired..

https://www.blackcircles.com/general/repair

Yes, I know, but we aren't talking about dealing with a puncture in
the workshop, we are talking about using science and technology to not
have to in most cases. Let's face it, you could get a hole in a tyre
and not damage a tube and nothing bad would happen. As you have said
yourself, as long as the integrity of the carcase is still intact, the
only thing you need to do then is seal the insides of the hole to
prevent water / dirt penetration and stop the air getting out.

As you can see any repair outside the area is not legal so if you get a
puncture outside the area that puncturseal "fixes" you still can't drive
on it without it failing a roadside or MOT check.

It would be interesting to see what the MOT boys here think of that.

So you need to check frequently to know you aren't breaking the law as
you have no other way of knowing if it doesn't leak.

Given the choice of breaking any 'law' versus putting me or my family
at risk from changing a wheel in a dangerous situation or not noticing
a slow puncture before it became worse, I know what I would rather
choose (and have chosen). ;-)

I repeat, can you please cite me the regulations that condemn the use
of such a sealant in the UK?

https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/b...ct-2-contiseal

Cheers, T i m