Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Comments on Spare Wheel Alternatives

On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 21:14:59 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

snip

I would not be without a spare of some sort - preferably a full size
wheel and tyre,

Something I used to enjoy on my Lambretta SX150 scooter but not so
easy (realistically) on most our motorbikes. ;-(

but if there's not enough space even a spacesaver is
better than nothing.

Agreed. We try to carry a folding tyre on the cycles.

No amount of sealing gunge is going to seal a
decent gash in the tyre if you're unlucky enough to sustain one.

Agreed (and in fact it *should* try to seal such damage). However, it
has been suggested that it can slow the deflation to the point where
it buys you enough time to come to a safe halt or get somewhere
'safe'.

If "er
indoors" can't change a wheel herself, somebody else (AA etc. if you
have a breakdown service) will

Once they get there ...

- but only if you carry a serviceable spare.

I believe many carry a 'universal' / Multi-fit wheel that should fit
most common car hubs and stud patterns.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/mi...-fits-any-car/

If you now have a 2014 model, it should by law have been factory fitted
with tyre pressure monitors. If you get a slow puncture from a nail,
etc. these will warn you before the pressure gets dangerously low.

Good idea too. ;-)

It
might be worth considering buying one of those emergency start battery
packs with a built-in tyre inflator (or even just a tyre inflator which
plugs into the cigar socket).

+! I have one of those (tyre inflator / lamp) along with a
conventional footpump (both in the boot).

That way, if the pressure monitors warn
you of a slow puncture, you can keep topping up the pressure until you
can get it dealt with properly.

Or ... you could pre-emptively treat all 4 wheels with a sealant that
should prevent you suffering with most punctures in the first place,
dealing with it 'automatically'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m