Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Comments on Spare Wheel Alternatives

On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 18:37:29 +0000 (GMT+00:00), TheChief
wrote:

snip

One annoyance with all this is that the car has what looks like a
full depth spare wheel well.

So to save a few quid and perhaps some weight, the driver gets
stuck with a far interior solution to an age old
problem.

Except, you don't *have* to be stuck with it, there are modern
alternatives.

When we are motorcycle touring we can't easily carry spare tyres and
so we protect ourselves about the only way we feel appropriate by
making the tyres puncture proof, at least against the everyday
punctures.

The second line being AA Relay and / or the hope of getting a
replacement tyre for a supplier, wherever we happen to be.

It seems foolhardy to me to risk damaging a tyre or getting a blowout
because you inadvertently drive any distance, especially at speed
before realising you picked up a slow puncture a good few miles back.

Now, if you have tyre pressure monitors / warnings then at least you
should be protected from some of that but you still have to deal with
the puncture ... that you may well have never suffered from in the
first place with a little bit of preventative preparation.

'Of course', nothing is ever 100% but if it was only 50% that could
worth paying a few quid for?

Who goes on holiday without travel insurance or drives without some
sort of breakdown / recovery service ... or a credit card and a cell
phone at least?

All our cars, motorbikes, cycles and trailers are treated with
Punctureseal because a puncture in any of them at any time would
probably spoil our day. It would definitely spoil the Wife's day
because even though she built the kitcar with me, her various health
and mobility issues (even the arthritis in her hands / fingers) would
mean even changing a wheel a pretty difficult / dangerous experience
(even if she was able to find the telescopic brace and get the jack
out and in the right place).

Personally, I rather she didn't have to try ...

Cheers, T i m