Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default spirit levels

On Sat, 30 Dec 2017 11:32:00 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 12/29/17 11:57 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
What is the theory behind levels?

I've heard that carpenter's are more precise than those used by
bricklayers.

I have examined the ones we have here and there is no indication as
to precision on either so the only way to tell would be the mortar
stains on one of them...

Interesting discussion. I've never really thought about it, as far as
accuracy goes.
I really doubt that a carpenter's level is more accurate than a mason's,
but who knows.
My gut is that *if* there was a difference, it would be the other way
around since carpenters pretty much only need level or plumb for about
8ft. And even then with framing, 1/8" off plumb at 8ft is still
considered ok.

In any case, the big difference is with durability. A mason will often
use his level to tap brick/block into place. Also, it's easier to clean
mortar off of wood.

My dad's favorite carpenter's level was wood with a brass edge, but
the one he used most was aluminum because it stood up to bouncing
around the back of the truck with all the other tools and supplies.