Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim R[_2_] Tim R[_2_] is offline

Default sound from one laptop speaker only, can't solve this

On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 9:43:43 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:
WE have no idea the laptop details or the OS version.
Some random thoughts:
If you have a windows 7 COA on the laptop, you can download the bits
to make it work. I'm too lazy to look it up if you don't need it.

Did you update XP to SP3? They made a lot of changes over the years.

Did you try to find a better sound card driver for the laptop?

Sorry, I didn't include any system details because I was looking hardware first.

Because hardware is less frustrating to fix, not because of inherent logic.

If it matters, it is an ASUS K501, running XP Professional 2002 with Service Pack 3. CPU is a Pentium dual core Ghz. 2.96 Gb RAM. All this from clicking on the system folder. It doesn't describe the sound card but says there is VIA HD Audio, and Legacy Audio Driver. I tried to update, it told me it couldn't find any better driver.