Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default sound from one laptop speaker only, can't solve this

I've often run a stereo miniplug out to two RCA plugs into a stereo amp for an iPod, boombox, laptop, without problems. My main system runs that way, with a miniplug into the headphone out on a Win10 machine, into a decent stereo amp and floor speakers. I have another system running the USB out into an M-Audio interface, then RCA cables into that stereo. Both work great..

I just tried putting speakers on the rec room laptop where the wifi reaches..

Only one speaker works. So here was my troubleshooting order:

swapped the speakers, left for right. Nope, they both work, but only on the one side.

Swapped the stereo amp for a different one. Same results.

Okay, maybe it's the laptop port. Put in earbuds from my phone, both sides work.

Aha! It's the cable. Got two more miniplug to RCA cables, still only one side audio. Not the cable, unless I have 3 bad ones.

Then and only then went to google: common problem, adjust the speaker volume and balance settings and it goes away. Nope, still doesn't work.

Still could be the laptop jack. Carry it upstairs to the system known to work. Works fine up there. Great, it's fixed, carry it back down and ................ nope, won't work on the amp down there.

What am I missing? I've tried speakers, amps, cables, and software, I don't know where to go next. Oh, maybe should mention, this is an older laptop.. It came with System 7 but when the harddrive crashed we couldn't get another 7 without paying the cost of another laptop so we put on XP.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You can almost always download a replacement disk fro the manufacturer, or Microsoft. You will get an ISO file, this is needed top make the disk bootable. It takes a special burning program to actually burn the CD. I use Power to go. Freeware and n0t invasive.

I say this because you probably have a compatabiity issue. Windows XP has been out for a log time, there was no bluetooth. There was wireless but not bluetooth.

It's nice how they get you to pay to get something that is for free.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 7:32:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
You can almost always download a replacement disk fro the manufacturer, or Microsoft. You will get an ISO file, this is needed top make the disk bootable. It takes a special burning program to actually burn the CD. I use Power to go. Freeware and n0t invasive.

I say this because you probably have a compatabiity issue. Windows XP has been out for a log time, there was no bluetooth. There was wireless but not bluetooth.

It's nice how they get you to pay to get something that is for free.

Yes. I called the manufacturer. They asked for the product code from the box, which I'd saved. I read it to them and they said sorry, that was installed by the retailer, you'll have to pay full price for a new system.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/29/2017 3:25 PM, Tim R wrote:
[...]

WE have no idea the laptop details or the OS version.
Some random thoughts:
If you have a windows 7 COA on the laptop, you can download the bits
to make it work. I'm too lazy to look it up if you don't need it.

Did you update XP to SP3? They made a lot of changes over the years.

Did you try to find a better sound card driver for the laptop?

Sometimes the audio jack detects what's on there and sets itself up
accordingly. Try a 32 ohm resistor to ground on each audio line to see
if that helps.
Probably can be a lot bigger resistors, I just have no idea what the
threshold might be.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tim R wrote:

[snip]

What am I missing? I've tried speakers, amps, cables, and software, I
don't know where to go next. Oh, maybe should mention, this is an older
laptop. It came with System 7 but when the harddrive crashed we couldn't
get another 7 without paying the cost of another laptop so we put on XP.

Old laptop may have a slightly recessed audio jack. So a standard mini plug
won't seat fully and make connection with left and right channel contacts in
the jack.

--
Paul Hovnanian
I bet the human brain is a kludge. -- Marvin Minsky

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 9:43:43 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:
WE have no idea the laptop details or the OS version.
Some random thoughts:
If you have a windows 7 COA on the laptop, you can download the bits
to make it work. I'm too lazy to look it up if you don't need it.

Did you update XP to SP3? They made a lot of changes over the years.

Did you try to find a better sound card driver for the laptop?

Sorry, I didn't include any system details because I was looking hardware first.

Because hardware is less frustrating to fix, not because of inherent logic.

If it matters, it is an ASUS K501, running XP Professional 2002 with Service Pack 3. CPU is a Pentium dual core Ghz. 2.96 Gb RAM. All this from clicking on the system folder. It doesn't describe the sound card but says there is VIA HD Audio, and Legacy Audio Driver. I tried to update, it told me it couldn't find any better driver.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 11:23:08 PM UTC-5, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Tim R wrote:

[snip]

What am I missing? I've tried speakers, amps, cables, and software, I
don't know where to go next. Oh, maybe should mention, this is an older
laptop. It came with System 7 but when the harddrive crashed we couldn't
get another 7 without paying the cost of another laptop so we put on XP.

Old laptop may have a slightly recessed audio jack. So a standard mini plug
won't seat fully and make connection with left and right channel contacts in
the jack.

--
Paul Hovnanian
I bet the human brain is a kludge. -- Marvin Minsky

That makes sense. I have 3 cables that don't work, but an iPhone earbud does. The cable in use upstairs also worked, so maybe there's just enough variation from plug to plug.

So you think over time the jack has depressed a bit, just enough to not make good contact? The answer then is probably to get sound out of the USB instead of the headphone jack.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tim R wrote:

---------------

That makes sense. I have 3 cables that don't work, but an iPhone earbud does. The cable in use upstairs also worked, so maybe there's just enough variation from plug to plug.

** Iphone earbuds use FOUR way mini-plugs.

You vision impaired?

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, December 30, 2017 at 7:45:46 PM UTC-5, Phil Allison wrote:
Tim R wrote:

---------------

That makes sense. I have 3 cables that don't work, but an iPhone earbud does. The cable in use upstairs also worked, so maybe there's just enough variation from plug to plug.

** Iphone earbuds use FOUR way mini-plugs.

Yes, I'm aware of that. The 4th contact handles a volume control for the iPhone. Apparently the three standard contacts are close enough to a 3 way to work in most miniplug jacks. I could be wrong.

You vision impaired?

Yes, of course, I'm 65 with bifocals and cataracts. I insert the plug mostly by feel, and I need a headlamp working on dark surfaces.

.... Phil

FWIW, I did some research on how to install Win 7 again, and it appears to be near impossible without the product key. That's long since lost, which is too bad.

Basically at this point I don't know for sure if it's a jack problem or a software problem. I tried plugging in my Fasttrack, a USB to audio converter, and it recognized it as fasttrack, but never gave me the option to output sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Tim R wrote:

FWIW, I did some research on how to install Win 7 again, and it appears to be near impossible without the product key. That's long since lost, which is too bad.

That's why I've been buying off lease Dell Optiplex 780 computers.
Shove a Dell restore disk into the drive, and let it take care of
everything, including installing the corporate key for XP or Win 7.

I just bought another on Ebay for $43.71 delivered. It has 4GB of
RAM, a 250 GB HD and a DVD-ROM. It will be used to control a Vinyl
cutter for a local company that makes canopies for art shows. I got
several XP restore disks for free, and I paid about $10 for the Dell Win
7 disk.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/30/17 9:16 PM, Tim R wrote:
Yes, of course, I'm 65 with bifocals and cataracts.

Welcome to my world brother.

FWIW, I did some research on how to install Win 7 again, and it
appears to be near impossible without the product key.

That's not true, just go ahead and install. Then it will bitch
constantly about being a potentially counterfeit copy.

When you get tired of it bitching at you and refusing to update,
go he
https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Windows-7-Professional-Pro-64-bit-Product-Activation-key-Digital-Delivery/530077756
I buy from Scotts758. Absolutely painless and simple.
https://www.bonanza.com/booths/scotts758

For $9, it beats wasting any time going through that pile of
"I'll just put this here where it's safe and I can find it again."

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

On 12/30/17 9:16 PM, Tim R wrote:
Yes, of course, I'm 65 with bifocals and cataracts.

Welcome to my world brother.

FWIW, I did some research on how to install Win 7 again, and it
appears to be near impossible without the product key.

That's not true, just go ahead and install. Then it will bitch
constantly about being a potentially counterfeit copy.

When you get tired of it bitching at you and refusing to update,
go he
https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Windows-7-Professional-Pro-64-bit-Product-Activation-key-Digital-Delivery/530077756
I buy from Scotts758. Absolutely painless and simple.
https://www.bonanza.com/booths/scotts758

For $9, it beats wasting any time going through that pile of
"I'll just put this here where it's safe and I can find it again."

I just bought a new Dell laptop and wanted to run an older version of
Microsoft Office. It loaded but would not run the email part. I was
told when I bought the computer from Office Depot that my old copy would
not run under Win 10, The version was office XP (corporate license) and
I had it running on several other windows 10 computers. Sure enough the
mail part would not run. I got on ebay and looked around and found many
versions of Office 2016 keys for about $ 10 or less. Thinking it may be
a scam I thought what the heck, its lsee than $ 10 to find out.
Downloaded the program and they sent me the key in about 2 or 3 hours.
It could have been quicker but I did not check for it for that long. It
has been working just fine for a month and no doubt it will keep on
running. That money beat me trying to find out why the Win XP or 2007
version would not run correctly on the laptop version of win 10.