Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
Mrcheerful Mrcheerful is offline

Default value?

In article ,
GB wrote:
He's been offered £75 to come and colect the car for scrap, which
is a good deal.

I guess scrap prices must have fallen. I got £200 (collected) for the
Punto a few years ago. I rang round, and the offers varied quite a bit:
£50-200 IIRC.

Pretty rare a recently running car is used only for scrap. Normally
dismantled for any useful parts. Which won't be just the engine.

not round here, there are now very few 'breakers' Land prices are too
high for them to keep going. Scrap places are taking in complete
runners, often under ten years old, they have the fluids removed,
batteries and alloy wheels removed, catalytic converters cut off, the
engine/box is torn out with a grab, and the remainder goes in the
crusher, then, elsewhere the remains are torn apart and separated on a
conveyor belt machine and useful stuff goes to be remelted.