Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default value?

On 30/12/2017 11:46, charles wrote:
The last tine I had to investigate a cam belt (in a 1971 Cortina), I found
it was toothed, so couldn't slip.

err, they are all toothed belts, it's the only way to maintain correct
registration between crankshaft and camshaft(s).

They do indeed 'slip', by jumping around the sprocket and this is
how the valves and pistons have a deadly embrace (on some cars).

He's been offered £75 to come and colect the car for scrap, which
is a good deal. Possibly because the scrappy is betting on an oil
change, suck out the water from the cylinders and an instant
£600 profit.