Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Christmas Snake Oil anyone ?. (V expensive mains extension block).

On Tuesday, 26 December 2017 21:42:37 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:

On 2017-12-26, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is this Uncle Russ Andrews wearing his Santa Disguise?
Brian

Yes.

It's utter ****, of course.

I went to wire a boiler up for the sort of ****** that buys this sort of
stuff.

Two massive speakers in the lounge and in the garage at the other side
of the lounge wall was a roll of speaker wire from one of the speakers
wrapped around the fuse box.

It was explained to me that "This was to keep both lengths of speaker
wire the same as it sounds better".

The next time I work for such a ****** I shall offer "the same cable
length at the roomstat" as an optional extra for £100. I have no doubt
they will pay for it once I have explained to them how "the induction
current due to having a longer switched live than neutral cable at the
stat may alter the hysteresis operation of the room stat and reduce it's
performance".

Of course I'll stick on my magic meter to show this working (well a
mutlimeter) but I think that they will happily cough up an extra £100
for a much better wired roomstat.

I think I'd tend to make both speaker leads about the same length.
Propagation delay is obviouslly irrelevant, signal amplitude difference
well down in the noise, but the different effective output impedance of
the amplifier *might* affect the damping and therefore amplitude and
phase of the frequency response of the speaker in an audible way.
Probably not, but I would anyway.

An 8ohm speaker is 6-7 ohms dc resistance. A metre of 1mm^2 cable is 44mohm, so 2.5 metres is 0.11ohms. So no detectable difference on the sound whatsoever.

NT