David Efflandt

Default Hot water recirculator system

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, John wrote:
Hello group..
I have seen a few of these advertised, and was wondering if they really
work..They claim to save you a bunch of water which is wasted by waiting for
the hot water to arrive to the faucet..My desired use is for the
laundry..The laundry room is quite a distance from the water heater, and
being a water efficient front load washer, it uses very little water and on
a hot water wash, by the time the washer fills, the water is just getting
hot which then makes the washer heat its own water making a very long
cycle..

Properly designed and insulated hot water recirc systems, limited to the
hot water system only, may be justified to avoid water waste for large
systems. But frankly I would never buy a system that circulates lukewarm
water into my cold drinking water pipes.

For laundry, I simply turn my washer to "hot" until the water warms, and
then set it to "warm", but my water heater is within 10'.