Steve Smith

Default Hot water recirculator system

John wrote in message
Hello group..
I have seen a few of these advertised, and was wondering if they really
work..They claim to save you a bunch of water which is wasted by waiting

for
the hot water to arrive to the faucet..My desired use is for the
laundry..The laundry room is quite a distance from the water heater, and
being a water efficient front load washer, it uses very little water and

on
a hot water wash, by the time the washer fills, the water is just getting
hot which then makes the washer heat its own water making a very long
cycle..If these things really work, this would be a life saver as I could
program the water circulator pump to come on when I do laundry
usually...Here is an example of this system:
http://www.rewci.com/whhohotwaci.html

This will end up costing you more money. The site even admits that
heated water is going to be used for toilet flushing and other such
activities. This will add up fast! Not only that, but you'll have your
nice hot water constantly running through uninsulated copper pipes. This is
why your hot water gets cold in the pipes in the first place. Even when
you're not home you'll be losing money with this system.

True, you will pay less for water, but you'll pay more, A LOT more to
the gas or electric company.

Real hot-water re-circulators use a dedicated return line, and the pipes
are all insulated very well during installation. I've actually seen such a
system that used special manufactured insulated pipes.

The best bet for your washing machine: Run the hot tap in the adjacent
laundry tub (if you have one) until it gets hot.

-- Steve