Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Better Grind for Deep Drilling Stainless ???

I've been roaching out and regrinding twist drills all afternoon. I do
a typical 3 facet grind on each cutting edge and then thin the web.
Works for most things. In stainless it produces long stringy chips. So
I didn't have to stop every time I roached a bit I gather up 4 that were
the right size and set them on my tool cart. When I got to one from
Precision Twist Drill it drilled about the same as the others, but the
chips came out in little pieces, Almost a turning insert with a chip
breaker. It might have even take a little less force. Was that a fluke
or is there a different grind that works better in stainless? Of
course, I paused to long on a peck and roached the tip so I had to
regrind it. Amazingly with my regular 3 facet grind the tip has been
outlasting the other bits including my Chicago Latrobe about 3 to 1.

I've been drilling fairly deep holes (2.75inches) in 304 with either an
F drill or a 6.5mm drill for the last couple hours making last minute
Christmas presents.