Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Better Grind for Deep Drilling Stainless ???

I've been roaching out and regrinding twist drills all afternoon. I do
a typical 3 facet grind on each cutting edge and then thin the web.
Works for most things. In stainless it produces long stringy chips. So
I didn't have to stop every time I roached a bit I gather up 4 that were
the right size and set them on my tool cart. When I got to one from
Precision Twist Drill it drilled about the same as the others, but the
chips came out in little pieces, Almost a turning insert with a chip
breaker. It might have even take a little less force. Was that a fluke
or is there a different grind that works better in stainless? Of
course, I paused to long on a peck and roached the tip so I had to
regrind it. Amazingly with my regular 3 facet grind the tip has been
outlasting the other bits including my Chicago Latrobe about 3 to 1.

I've been drilling fairly deep holes (2.75inches) in 304 with either an
F drill or a 6.5mm drill for the last couple hours making last minute
Christmas presents.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/23/2017 7:50 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Holy Crap! I never did figure out how it was producing chips instead of
strings, but after I resharpened the Precision Twist Drill it finished
all the rest of my deep drilling without being resharpened one time. It
seemed to grind easily enough, but man it sure is tough in operation. I
hate to spend the money, but it would be awfully tempting to replace all
my drill sets with these. When I said 3:1 yesterday it was just how
many more holes I had drilled with it over previous resharpened bits
when I called it a day. We are talking atleast 5:1, and it just barely
starting to show signs of edge wear in the chips. I could probably
punch several more holes with it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
[...]

Does it have parabolic flutes?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm not sure what that means, but it does have a slightly faster helix than all my other drills.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/24/2017 12:49 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 12/23/2017 7:50 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been roaching out and regrinding twist drills all afternoon.Â* I do
a typical 3 facet grind on each cutting edge and then thin the web.
Works for most things.Â* In stainless it produces long stringy chips.Â* So
I didn't have to stop every time I roached a bit I gather up 4 that were
the right size and set them on my tool cart.Â* When I got to one from
Precision Twist Drill it drilled about the same as the others, but the
chips came out in little pieces, Almost a turning insert with a chip
breaker.Â* It might have even take a little less force.Â* Was that a fluke
or is there a different grind that works better in stainless?Â* Of
course, I paused to long on a peck and roached the tip so I had to
regrind it. Amazingly with my regular 3 facet grind the tip has been
outlasting the other bits including my Chicago Latrobe about 3 to 1.

I've been drilling fairly deep holes (2.75inches) in 304 with either an
F drill or a 6.5mm drill for the last couple hours making last minute
Christmas presents.

Holy Crap!Â* I never did figure out how it was producing chips instead of
strings, but after I resharpened the Precision Twist Drill it finished
all the rest of my deep drilling without being resharpened one time.Â* It
seemed to grind easily enough, but man it sure is tough in operation.Â* I
hate to spend the money, but it would be awfully tempting to replace all
my drill sets with these.Â* When I said 3:1 yesterday it was just how
many more holes I had drilled with it over previous resharpened bits
when I called it a day.Â* We are talking atleast 5:1, and it just barely
starting to show signs of edge wear in the chips.Â* I could probably
punch several more holes with it.

Well Bob you got my curiosity up because in a past life I did a medium
amount of
machining and stuff.

So the drill bit you are talking about should be on pages 008 - 219
somewhere. Would you mind give a old phart a hint or two??

https://www.dormerpramet.com/Downloa...NAFTA_2017.pdf

BTW If you didn't know "Precision Twist Drill" and "Dormer" have merged
and it is now Precision Dormer.

Thanks,

Les

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/24/2017 2:58 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
On 12/24/2017 12:49 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 12/23/2017 7:50 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Â* I've been roaching out and regrinding twist drills all afternoon.
I do
Â* a typical 3 facet grind on each cutting edge and then thin the web.
Â* Works for most things.Â* In stainless it produces long stringy
chips.Â* So
Â* I didn't have to stop every time I roached a bit I gather up 4 that
were
Â* the right size and set them on my tool cart.Â* When I got to one from
Â* Precision Twist Drill it drilled about the same as the others, but the
Â* chips came out in little pieces, Almost a turning insert with a chip
Â* breaker.Â* It might have even take a little less force.Â* Was that a
fluke
Â* or is there a different grind that works better in stainless?Â* Of
Â* course, I paused to long on a peck and roached the tip so I had to
Â* regrind it. Amazingly with my regular 3 facet grind the tip has been
Â* outlasting the other bits including my Chicago Latrobe about 3 to 1.
Â*
Â* I've been drilling fairly deep holes (2.75inches) in 304 with
either an
Â* F drill or a 6.5mm drill for the last couple hours making last minute
Â* Christmas presents.

Holy Crap!Â* I never did figure out how it was producing chips instead
of strings, but after I resharpened the Precision Twist Drill it
finished all the rest of my deep drilling without being resharpened
one time.Â* It seemed to grind easily enough, but man it sure is tough
in operation.Â* I hate to spend the money, but it would be awfully
tempting to replace all my drill sets with these.Â* When I said 3:1
yesterday it was just how many more holes I had drilled with it over
previous resharpened bits when I called it a day.Â* We are talking
atleast 5:1, and it just barely starting to show signs of edge wear in
the chips.Â* I could probably punch several more holes with it.

Well Bob you got my curiosity up because in a past life I did a medium
amount of
machining and stuff.

So the drill bit you are talking about should be on pages 008 - 219
somewhere.Â* Would you mind give a old phart a hint or two??

https://www.dormerpramet.com/Downloa...NAFTA_2017.pdf

BTW If you didn't know "Precision Twist Drill" and "Dormer" have merged
and it is now Precision Dormer.

Thanks,

Les

Its a 6.5mm out of my C252ASET. I just looked at a couple other drills
in the set and they look like an ordinary factory grind. Rounded
trailing rake with a chisel point. Not even web thinned particularly.
Other than the slightly faster helix (and how well this one drill
performed) nothing appears to set them apart. I use a 3 facet grind
with slight web thinning because its fast, easy, and works in most
materials. Looks like 099987 in bright finish.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/24/2017 7:17 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

in the chips.Â* I could probably punch several more holes with it.

Well Bob you got my curiosity up because in a past life I did a medium
amount of
machining and stuff.

So the drill bit you are talking about should be on pages 008 - 219
somewhere.Â* Would you mind give a old phart a hint or two??

https://www.dormerpramet.com/Downloa...NAFTA_2017.pdf

BTW If you didn't know "Precision Twist Drill" and "Dormer" have
merged and it is now Precision Dormer.

Thanks,

Les

Its a 6.5mm out of my C252ASET.Â* I just looked at a couple other drills
in the set and they look like an ordinary factory grind.Â* Rounded
trailing rake with a chisel point.Â* Not even web thinned particularly.
Other than the slightly faster helix (and how well this one drill
performed) nothing appears to set them apart.Â* I use a 3 facet grind
with slight web thinning because its fast, easy, and works in most
materials.Â* Looks like 099987 in bright finish.

Thanks Bob, I found it.
Maybe it is just a 1 in a million special keeper!!

Thanks!!

Les