Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Do you have the electronics skills to design a good home madesmoke machine?

I thought I would let this fester for a bit in the hopes that our multiple personality cretin might actually try something and, thereby, learn something. No such luck.

a) Anyone actually considered the essential idiocy of using a smoke machine to find a vacuum leak?
b) And, once past that hurdle, running the same in a partially enclosed space for 30 minutes?
c) And once past that second hurdle, actually determining anything useful?

Anyone who has ever worked in or watched from the side-lines in a professional shop, or listened to Car Talk, Car Pro or any of several similar options knows how to find a vacuum leak, quickly, accurately and with a minimum of mess.

All it takes is a propane torch, a soft rubber hose, and a narrow metal nozzle.

Connect the hose to the torch nozzle such that the propane is directed into the hose.
Put a small metal tube at the end of the rubber hose to direct the propane into a small area.
Turn the torch on low (don't light it, of course). Run the nozzle all over the various potential locations while the vehicle is running.
The engine will rev when it sucks the propane into the vacuum leak.
Mark with keel, turn off torch.
Done.

And, one is not releasing sufficient propane as to worry about fire or explosions, using a tool probably right at hand.

Guys and gals, this is pretty basic automotive diagnostics. Why re-invent the wheel using some claptrap kludge of dubious utility?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA