Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Hinges

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Tim Lamb writes:
Covered before I know...

To create storage space in the chalet bungalow I have insulated and put
flooring in various bits of soffit/attic space.

To avoid cold doors, I need to fit 100mm or so of PIR foam to the backs.

First problem is how to do this neatly. Is there a semi-rigid plastic
sheet I can glue to the foam and perhaps hot melt glue strips round the
edges to form a plastic box? The doors will probably be tongue and
grooved Oak which will need bracing at the back; providing an edge
attachment.

The other issue is hinging a *thick* door and avoiding having to leave
clearance on the latch side. I had in mind hinges where the pivot pin is
to the side of the opening but don't know a source or a suitable google
description.

Look up storm hinges (no idea why they're called that),

Because they are mostly used for storm shutters.

or retrofit hinges for wheelchair access, which move the
hinge pins out in front of the architrave, so a 90 degree
open door is not using up any of the doorframe width.