Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Can furnace gas valve solenoids be repaired/replaced?

On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 9:29:18 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/18/2017 1:26 AM, wrote:

Are these valves similiar to gas dryer valves? I had a problem with my
dryer one time, and just replaced the solenoids, and was fixed. Can I
do the same with a furnace gas valve? This is the gas valve on my
furnace now:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1806587...pes& var=sbar

There is a plastic cover on it which can be removed. If I remove it,
will I find the solenoids?
Where will you find the replacement solenoids if you can get to the
old ones? What will they cost you??
I'd just buy the valve and be done with it, myself - and I'm a "cheap
bugger"

Empire carries every single part down the threads if you like. As long as you get the right piece, its like rebuilding a carburetor. Some people just don't want to do it, but they're selling these parts to someone.

Choose the wrong part and it won't work and is a potential for danger.
Gave valves and operators are not a good place to practice repairs if
you don't know what you are doing.

Me, I'm still wondering how Empire, whoever they are, sells threads for a
gas valve. Or anything for that matter. I haven't looked at a gas valve
in awhile, but seems to me the threads are female and part of the valve
body.