REL

Default Blower on furnace hums and doesn't start

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:31:21 GMT, "volts500"
wrote:

Have you brainiacs over there in alt.hvac ever figured out the difference
between MCA and MOCP yet?

Uhm, that would be a past discussion you and I had sir.

At the very least the interpretation is extremely cloudy on that and
you know it as well. You were correct in allowed derating of
conductors, however you also agreed there were other sections within
440.XX that indicated it might not be allowed. We also both took
notice that even if the derating were to be allowed, often times
voltage drop due to length, the larger conductor would be selected
anyway.

All things considered, you were opting to save money on the electrical
installation and I was spending more money to be on the safer side of
the dispute. The NFPA 70 or NEC clearly spells out that the code is
NOT the most practical, or even the best, but more specifically it is
the MINIMUM requirements.

I have no idea why you chose to bring this old settled discussion into
this thread, but now that you have, why not. Perhaps some one derated
the conductors trying to save a few bucks and the voltage applied to
the motor is too low and has now burned up.

The three things you mentioned are reasons a motor might not start and
would just hum, there certainly are several more. Low voltage due to
wiring, contacts in relay, or contacts in the breaker. Loose
connections, the list goes on and on.

Could the repair cost 700 bucks? Well, if the motor is toast because
of bad contacts on the relay, which is commonly on the pc board, I
suppose it could approach that pretty quick. Motor, cap, board,
possibly a new blower wheel if the hub is bad. Yeah, depending upon
the manufacture and the parts cost, it sure could. It also could be a
15 dollar cap and an hours labor plus the service call. I have no
idea, I can not see it from here.

At the end of our last conversation you seemed like a pretty decent
guy. You sure were not on a rant like you are this time. In fact, I
have not even watched this thread well enough to know WTF is going on,
just saw your name and thought , well I thought it was sharing info
and not this fussing stuff. For what it is worth, If I recall
correctly, 90 degree C wire is spec for heaters.

The other rich