Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Single skin brick wall - plastering solution recommendation

On 17/12/2017 14:29, wrote:
On Sunday, 17 December 2017 12:59:40 UTC, larkim wrote:

So we will be having the whole wall stripped back and re-covered reasonably quickly in the new year. Not DIY, but wondering what input I should / could have on the spec of what is put in place.

Assuming we dont really want to lose floor space (so Im ruling out creating an air-gap with a batten frame etc), and at the moment are constraining ourselves to thinking about only having that one wall re-done, what are the recommendations for materials assuming we get everything removed back to the brickwork? Are we likely to be creating ourselves some damp issues if we go for a top end insulating plasterboard etc?

Any pitfalls that Im wilfully or unwittingly ignoring?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Matt

PIR is the answer. Celotex, Kingspan, etc. Insulating plaster is more money and less insulation - and IIRC may also be polystyrene foam, much more flammable than chipboard or anything on Grenfell.

Damp shouldn't be a problem if the insulation is on the interior and coated with ali foil on the warm interior side.

NT

If the whole wall is covered with chipboard stuck on with bitumen then
I guess this was done to deal with a problem of penetrating moisture
through what is presumably a 9 inch solid wall. Leave it in place.

Removing all the decoration and overlaying with another layer of
'celotex'-type stuff works wonders.

Also consider stopping the wind-chill effect of a northerly
wind on the exterior brick face with sonething like this

http://www.stormdry.com/products/mas...otection-cream