Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Do you have the electronics skills to design a good home madesmoke machine?

A better way to detect intake leaks is to disconnect the IAC once the idle has settled down and watch the RPMs as you spray ether on the suspected leaks.

Remember to reset the computer after such a test or it will throw a code and probably a light.

Any smoke the engine can burn it will burn. If it can't burn it you put the catalytic convertor at risk, and they are still expensive on some cars. I know some are as cheap as like $40 for an economy car but that ain't what you got here. For performance cars it can run over $1,000.

So use the ether, I would say. (starting fluid that is)