Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why do my welds look like **** ?

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 7:48:53 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* Well , today it's because I was welding with flux core wire on an
older yard trailer . This thing was a gift , and you know what they say
... anyway , I've used this thing hard , it's primary task is hauling
firewood out of the woods . Tires get green-briar thorns , and metal
fatigues . Well , it's going to be a couple of days until the new tires
arrive , so today I welded up all those fatigue cracks . Also added an
angle iron reinforcement across the front at the top . And most of the
welds had a lot of smut on the top . Because they were burned thru rust
and paint/powder-coat . I don't care what they look like , as long as
this thing holds together long enough to make that 25 bucks I spent on
tires a reasonably decent investment .

Â* --

Â* Snag

There is some wire that is especially good for slightly rusty steel. It is called dual shield. You use it with gas , but the wire also has flux in it. I would not use it to weld thru several layers of paint, but it is great for slightly rusty steel oc steel with mill scale.

Dan