Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why do my welds look like **** ?

Â* Well , today it's because I was welding with flux core wire on an
older yard trailer . This thing was a gift , and you know what they say
.... anyway , I've used this thing hard , it's primary task is hauling
firewood out of the woods . Tires get green-briar thorns , and metal
fatigues . Well , it's going to be a couple of days until the new tires
arrive , so today I welded up all those fatigue cracks . Also added an
angle iron reinforcement across the front at the top . And most of the
welds had a lot of smut on the top . Because they were burned thru rust
and paint/powder-coat . I don't care what they look like , as long as
this thing holds together long enough to make that 25 bucks I spent on
tires a reasonably decent investment .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/11/2017 5:49 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* Well , today it's because I was welding with flux core wire on an
older yard trailer . This thing was a gift , and you know what they say
... anyway , I've used this thing hard , it's primary task is hauling
firewood out of the woods . Tires get green-briar thorns , and metal
fatigues . Well , it's going to be a couple of days until the new tires
arrive , so today I welded up all those fatigue cracks . Also added an
angle iron reinforcement across the front at the top . And most of the
welds had a lot of smut on the top . Because they were burned thru rust
and paint/powder-coat . I don't care what they look like , as long as
this thing holds together long enough to make that 25 bucks I spent on
tires a reasonably decent investment .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Wow! You burned through dirt, paint and grunge? I've never been able
to do that with any of my MIG welders. Now AC stick is another story.
It eats paint like breakfast pastries.

I've got one little Lincoln MIG that is just designed for flux core, and
its probably the easiest welder I have to lay down a pretty bead, but it
shore ain't gonna burn through no grunge.

Now the old Lincoln Tombstone. Its a paint eater. Just doesn't have
much duty cycle from mid range on up. It can only weld about half way
around a 6 inch well casing before I have to stop and let it cool down.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/11/2017 7:16 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 12/11/2017 5:49 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* Well , today it's because I was welding with flux core wire on an
older yard trailer . This thing was a gift , and you know what they
say ... anyway , I've used this thing hard , it's primary task is
hauling firewood out of the woods . Tires get green-briar thorns ,
and metal fatigues . Well , it's going to be a couple of days until
the new tires arrive , so today I welded up all those fatigue cracks
. Also added an angle iron reinforcement across the front at the top
. And most of the welds had a lot of smut on the top . Because they
were burned thru rust and paint/powder-coat . I don't care what they
look like , as long as this thing holds together long enough to make
that 25 bucks I spent on tires a reasonably decent investment .

Â*Â* --

Â*Â* Snag

Wow!Â* You burned through dirt, paint and grunge?Â* I've never been able
to do that with any of my MIG welders.Â* Now AC stick is another story.
It eats paint like breakfast pastries.

I've got one little Lincoln MIG that is just designed for flux core,
and its probably the easiest welder I have to lay down a pretty bead,
but it shore ain't gonna burn through no grunge.

Now the old Lincoln Tombstone.Â* Its a paint eater.Â* Just doesn't have
much duty cycle from mid range on up.Â* It can only weld about half way
around a 6 inch well casing before I have to stop and let it cool down.

Â* Check your fan ... my Tombstone will burn thru as many sticks of 1/8"
7018AC as I can stand and never shut down - but I'm only at 90 amps max
.. My wire feed is a Lincoln too , a Weldpak100 . Ain't worth a **** over
3/16" without preheat , but for this sheet metal I had it dialed all the
way down on amps - flux core burns hotter . Lots of fatigue cracks ,
this little gift has been used hard even before I started abusing it .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It doesnt shut down. The weld quality starts to suffer. Let it sit for ten minutes and the welds are good stuff again.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 18:49:30 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* Well , today it's because I was welding with flux core wire on an
older yard trailer . This thing was a gift , and you know what they say
... anyway , I've used this thing hard , it's primary task is hauling
firewood out of the woods . Tires get green-briar thorns , and metal
fatigues . Well , it's going to be a couple of days until the new tires
arrive , so today I welded up all those fatigue cracks . Also added an
angle iron reinforcement across the front at the top . And most of the
welds had a lot of smut on the top . Because they were burned thru rust
and paint/powder-coat . I don't care what they look like , as long as
this thing holds together long enough to make that 25 bucks I spent on
tires a reasonably decent investment .

* --

* Snag

Im sure somebody will drag open old wounds and pour salt in
em...(grin).....so Ill beat em to it.

I made up a really..really nice spare tire carrier for my old utility
trailer. Milled, lathed, measured to 3 digits..and couldnt get it
close enough to my big stick welder to weld it to the trailer. BUT!
Id just aquired a brand new Lincoln Weldpack 125 mig welder!! And by
Crom Ive good enough good extension cords to use the welder right
there at the trailer!! Im golden!!

So I weld the spare tire carrier on with perfect alignment, making
beautiful welds...beads were looking really really good! Voila! A
masterpiece of the craft!

I hung a Brand NEW D rated 14" trailer tire and Chrome! wheel on that
beautiful spare tire carrier..and headed for LA.

About 3 miles from home..while looking in the rear view mirror...I
noticed the beautiful and properly constructed spare tire carrier and
spare tire..was gone. I froze in shock! Then I noticed a black blob
on the pavement behind me..getting bigger and bigger and my brand new
masterpiece spare tire carrier appeared in the rear view mirror...tire
firmly attached...and it hit the pavement...hard...and bounced
upwards..like a pheasant on the rise...up..up..upwards and out of my
view in the rear view mirror. I never saw it again...though I spent
hours trecking through the sage brush and
tumbleweeds..searching..searching...in vain. It may have reached low
earth orbit on its rise.

Inspecting the weldment...showed that my brand new Lincoln Weldpack
125..had not penetrated the foundation element on the trailer..and the
perfect beads Id laid so carefuly and lovingly..were beautiful pecker
tracks that I knocked off with a chipping hammer. Zero penetration.
Nada. Hardly had even smoked the paint.

So I went back home..beat a new spare tire holder out of junk steel
and rebar, welded it with 6010 rod at full amperage and straight
polarity...then beat the **** out of it with a 4 lb sledge hammer,
trying to get the welds to fail. It held..and has held for at least 18
yrs so far..carrying for all that time...a series of second hand tires
I picked up for $10 off the Used Tire rack at the local mexican tire
shop.

I dream of that beautiful spare tire mount..sparkling in the
sunlight..that georgious brand new D range tire and the brightly
polished nuts that held it to that carrier...still..to this day. My
screaming NO! NO! NO! wakes up my dear wife..who pats my hand and
murmmers sympathy, before rolling over and going back to sleep.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

snippage occurs

I dream of that beautiful spare tire mount..sparkling in the
sunlight..that georgious brand new D range tire and the brightly
polished nuts that held it to that carrier...still..to this day. My
screaming NO! NO! NO! wakes up my dear wife..who pats my hand and
murmmers sympathy, before rolling over and going back to sleep.

Â* Yeah , I heard about that incident , though it was before I started
reading RCM . No worries about cold laps when you're using short bursts
to keep from burning thru your base metal . I have produced some cold
laps welding on metal too thick for the machine , but I knew it when it
happened . Now I either preheat or use a more powerful welder .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I have a Lincoln SP125+ MIG welder and I love it. Thicker steel does
require pre-heat but if ya know how to weld then you can tell when
those pretty beads are only that-pretty. I learned how to MIG weld
with my little welder but since I was already good at stick and TIG it
was pretty easy. I also took a one day class from a welding
instructor, Ernie Leimkuhler, which helped a lot. One thing I like
about fluxcore is its ability to burn through rust and paint.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My Miller 200s require no preheat on steels thinner than 1/2". And in
many cases..when using a 110vt welder..one doesnt have a torch handy
either.

I still use my Sp125 quite a bit. Particularly in the field. But
never on steels thicker than 1/4"

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 7:48:53 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* Well , today it's because I was welding with flux core wire on an
older yard trailer . This thing was a gift , and you know what they say
... anyway , I've used this thing hard , it's primary task is hauling
firewood out of the woods . Tires get green-briar thorns , and metal
fatigues . Well , it's going to be a couple of days until the new tires
arrive , so today I welded up all those fatigue cracks . Also added an
angle iron reinforcement across the front at the top . And most of the
welds had a lot of smut on the top . Because they were burned thru rust
and paint/powder-coat . I don't care what they look like , as long as
this thing holds together long enough to make that 25 bucks I spent on
tires a reasonably decent investment .

Â* --

Â* Snag

There is some wire that is especially good for slightly rusty steel. It is called dual shield. You use it with gas , but the wire also has flux in it. I would not use it to weld thru several layers of paint, but it is great for slightly rusty steel oc steel with mill scale.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 18:25:59 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

Good stuff indeed! Find it a lot on construction sites and places
they do rework/adaptions

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/11/2017 4:49 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* Well , today it's because [wheeze snipped]

Probably it's because Mark Wieber "taught" you how to weld.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/14/2017 2:54 PM, a midget, a whore and a Chinaman go into a bar,
and... wrote:
On 12/11/2017 4:49 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* Well , today it's because [wheeze snipped]

Probably it's because Mark Wieber "taught" you how to weld.

Â* Never met the man , wouldn't know him if I saw him . The welds
themselves look just fine once you clean the flux and crud residues off
.. The whole point was that I knew and understood what I was doing . BTW
, I learned to weld back in like 1964 or '65 , stick and OA only at that
time in my high school shop . Also cast my first aluminum sand mold
around that same time . The name plate I made is hanging on my shop door
.... now go back outside and play , adults are trying to talk .

Â* --

Â* Snag