Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why do my welds look like **** ?

On 12/12/2017 12:29 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 18:49:30 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

Â* Well , today it's because I was welding with flux core wire on an
older yard trailer . This thing was a gift , and you know what they say
... anyway , I've used this thing hard , it's primary task is hauling
firewood out of the woods . Tires get green-briar thorns , and metal
fatigues . Well , it's going to be a couple of days until the new tires
arrive , so today I welded up all those fatigue cracks . Also added an
angle iron reinforcement across the front at the top . And most of the
welds had a lot of smut on the top . Because they were burned thru rust
and paint/powder-coat . I don't care what they look like , as long as
this thing holds together long enough to make that 25 bucks I spent on
tires a reasonably decent investment .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Im sure somebody will drag open old wounds and pour salt in
em...(grin).....so Ill beat em to it.

I made up a really..really nice spare tire carrier for my old utility
trailer...

snippage occurs

I dream of that beautiful spare tire mount..sparkling in the
sunlight..that georgious brand new D range tire and the brightly
polished nuts that held it to that carrier...still..to this day. My
screaming NO! NO! NO! wakes up my dear wife..who pats my hand and
murmmers sympathy, before rolling over and going back to sleep.

Â* Yeah , I heard about that incident , though it was before I started
reading RCM . No worries about cold laps when you're using short bursts
to keep from burning thru your base metal . I have produced some cold
laps welding on metal too thick for the machine , but I knew it when it
happened . Now I either preheat or use a more powerful welder .

Â* --

Â* Snag