Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why do my welds look like **** ?

On 12/11/2017 7:16 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
On 12/11/2017 5:49 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* Well , today it's because I was welding with flux core wire on an
older yard trailer . This thing was a gift , and you know what they
say ... anyway , I've used this thing hard , it's primary task is
hauling firewood out of the woods . Tires get green-briar thorns ,
and metal fatigues . Well , it's going to be a couple of days until
the new tires arrive , so today I welded up all those fatigue cracks
. Also added an angle iron reinforcement across the front at the top
. And most of the welds had a lot of smut on the top . Because they
were burned thru rust and paint/powder-coat . I don't care what they
look like , as long as this thing holds together long enough to make
that 25 bucks I spent on tires a reasonably decent investment .

Â*Â* --

Â*Â* Snag

Wow!Â* You burned through dirt, paint and grunge?Â* I've never been able
to do that with any of my MIG welders.Â* Now AC stick is another story.
It eats paint like breakfast pastries.

I've got one little Lincoln MIG that is just designed for flux core,
and its probably the easiest welder I have to lay down a pretty bead,
but it shore ain't gonna burn through no grunge.

Now the old Lincoln Tombstone.Â* Its a paint eater.Â* Just doesn't have
much duty cycle from mid range on up.Â* It can only weld about half way
around a 6 inch well casing before I have to stop and let it cool down.

Â* Check your fan ... my Tombstone will burn thru as many sticks of 1/8"
7018AC as I can stand and never shut down - but I'm only at 90 amps max
.. My wire feed is a Lincoln too , a Weldpak100 . Ain't worth a **** over
3/16" without preheat , but for this sheet metal I had it dialed all the
way down on amps - flux core burns hotter . Lots of fatigue cracks ,
this little gift has been used hard even before I started abusing it .

Â* --

Â* Snag