Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Is there a database online for the number of shop hours a carrepair should take?

On 12/11/2017 11:36 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Maybe. The Buick dealer tried to charge me a diagnostic fee to tell me
my heated seat did not work. Hey, that's why I came here and told you
what the problem was. They just built in a 1 hour diagnostic time for
every trip in. That and other problems made it the last GM car I ever
owned.

What do you think the minutes incurred actually are, including you calling
up, scheduling, then rolling the car into the shop, connecting the
diagnostic cable, running the tests? Those tests typically include
disconnect the seat cable and connect test cable XYZ. What voltage does
the test software now show. If it's under 12V, do this next procedure....
And on it goes. I have the test software for BMW and that is how it.
goes. I could easily spend a half hour diagnosing, following their
procedure. Then you still have all the other overhead.

About two minutes. I told him what the problem was, and exactly where
it burned out. just wanted to know how much to replace it. They took
it upon themselves if they "diagnosed" it. Turns out they don't replace
the element, but the whole seat bottom. For $672 I did without. In
addition, the warranty was 3 year 36000 and it failed in 2 years and
38000 so GM said tough crap. No problem, I bought 5 non-GM cars since
including the G80 I bought 6 weeks ago..