Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default So how much power does an oil filled radiator actually use.

On Wed, 6 Dec 2017 05:42:02 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip
as there are 3 labs,

Are they one airspace or separated. If the latter we only need the
information from one (as a starter).

No idea what do you mean by airspace seprated.

Really? Are the labs open plan or are they separated by a barrier of
some sort?

They are sperated by swing doors I've already told you that,

Did you tell me that before of after you I asked you the question
here?

the videos show those doors,

I haven't bothered with the videos. If you CBA to do stuff to help,
nor can I.

are swing doors classed as barriers of some sort.?

What do you think? Can the heat move freely through the doors when
they are closed?

I have posted videos of the lab how comes you can't work it out from those.

Because I'm not your wet nurse mate.

you too stupid even to work out whether doors are barriers is that it, too complex for you to work out is it.

Is it? Given I asked you the question it's you that could be too
stupid to answer the question eh? Remember, what I also said is that
if the temperature of the rooms either side of the doors, it didn't
really matter.

snip

Yes I know, so how do the professionals calculate what to use or how to heat an aera. ?

Using the tools you have been given many times now.

yuo've not given any tols just talked crap.

And did John Rumm talk crap, as he also gave you the tools?

No what about there's barriers or are they doors.

Grow up.

A professional is someone that is paid to make these calculations and can understand both theory and practice.

But it doesn't require 'a professional', just someone with more than
one brain cell.

which is exactly why you can't do it.

Bwhahaha. Oh, you are funny dave (in a very sad way).

Yopu have the same info as I have to work with so show me how yuo do the calculations.

What's that, an admission you don't have a clue where to start and are
asking for help? If that is the case, that could be ok. However, for
*anyone* to be able to help you, *you* (or someone who knows how to
use a tape measure) need to take some measurements (of a lab, not your
car or the toilets).

2) A clue as to the size of any windows and the construction of all
the (especially external) surfaces.

Large triple glazed windows

'Large' as in your mouth or ego or something different? ;-)

Large as in the inverse square of your brain capacity.

So, you don't know how to use a rule either now? Or maybe you are
physically disabled so can't reach the windows from your wheelchair?

I know how large they are but unlike you I don't believe say a 2 X 1 metre window has any fixed parameters other than physical size,

LOL!!!! You really can't make this up can you ... ;-)

Well Sherlock, if you are saying that is what one windows actually is
then size then that would be a start. Then we need to know if it is
single / double / triple glazed and we can make a stab at it's thermal
properties.

snip

I don't see how the previous single glazed windows can have the same properties as our new triple glazed windows

snip What is that ... a tiny glimmer of understanding of the whole
f'ing point of the u values and the dimension questions!

Only someoen as stupid as yuo would propsoe that.

Bingo.

So I don;t really know what relivance window size has.

Of course you don't, like you don't have a clue about most of
anything. How do you think you consider the losses through any of the
different materials unless we know how much of each material there is?

Seriously, a child could work that out.

Surely if you had any clue

And I do, as I'm the one leading you through this by the nose ...

yuo'd be asking about other critera,

I have, but it whooshed you obviously (like most stuff).

but of course you haven;t

But of course I have ... several times. Remember me asking about the
dimensions of the room, and the materials all the walls, floors and
ceilings were made of and ...

like all 2KW rads all 2KW rads.

Irrelevant to the calculations re the energy required to get the space
to a certain temperature.

work the same just like all windows have the same properties.

What??

Or calculate it as from 3 weeks ago when we had NO windows.

I'm pretty sure your power supply wouldn't be up to that.

We do not have a power supply for that, we never had.

I know as the one in the lab is poor.

Been fine for 20 years now, and is still doing everything we'd want of it, other than not quite enough sockets,

Yeah, it's fine for all this things it's fine for but not the things
it isn't fine for. Brilliant.

if H&S donlt want us to use extention leads then they'll have to explain to teaching that we can't run the number of students through the lab as they have timetabled.

WTF have extension leads got to do with it?

Then let them fight it out do we halve the number of students reducing income and there for their saleries or postition.

And reducing the heating energy in the labs at the same time.

The heatting was suplied from a differtn building NOT in this building.

What sort of power supply would you suggest as the requirement for running labs in that the temperture should be a minuim of 16C as stated in the factories act of 1992 section 7.

A standard domestic UK spec one would be fine, where you have access
to the full voltage even under a reasonable load.

So which one, yuo;'re talkign craop again aren't you.

See above. The question can't be answered any other way.

How many KW is this heaters that you can't link to.?

What heaters? YOU DO THE CALCS FIRST AND THAT DETERMINES HOW MUCH
HEATING YOU NEED.

How many 2KW heaters would be needed ?
or would you prefer to quote for 1300W heaters ?

Impossible to determine until you have done the thermal calculations.

I've told you I can't do them and niether can you.

So, are you now admitting you are incontinent and can't apply some
numbers to a simple rule?

I can't do it because I'm not there with a tape measure but if I was I
could do what is required in a few minutes. A child could do it
equally quickly (if they were 6' 2" tall).

Q1
If it was caluclated that you'd need 20 2KW heaters to heat a lab to the required temperature and replaced them with 1300W heaters would you need .

A More 1300W heaters than 20

Depends on the effective output of each.

What do you mean by effective output ?
Deosn;t that depend on the heaters themselves ?

No. Energy out is energy out, no matter how it happens.

B exaclty the same number of heaters

Depends on the effective output of each.

C Less 1300W heaters

Depends on the effective output of each.

D We have no idea because we don't know if they are one airspace or separated

Or what the thermal requirements for the space is.

So you havent a clue as expected.

Do I have a clue about the thermal requirements of your undisclosed
lab size and the undisclosed materials? Yes, you are right, I don't
have a clue.

However, the frightening thing is you are actually there and could
take the measurements and then do the calcs and you can't!

Cheers, T i m