Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerry[_9_] Gerry[_9_] is offline

Default Interesting and counterintuitive to me

On Mon, 04 Dec 2017 21:04:10 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 17:27:07 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 11:28:22 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 7:18:13 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:
if it's an AA/Sears 109-21270 your next problem will be spindle
deflection.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page5.html

If it is an AA Sears lathe , the first problem was spindle
deflection.

Dan

And the second problem was spindle bending, right at the bottom of
the
nose-thread relief.

--
Ed Huntress

It wasn't too difficult to bend back. I belted the lathe for speed and
still use it for polishing, and for drilling small deep holes like
axle grease passages, which don't have to stay precisely centered.

Since I have another lathe it might get a shop-made solid 1/2"-20
spindle with the end pointed to turn or grind between centers. The
1/2"-20 mount Jacobs chuck I usually leave on it is very nice for
odd-sized small work and filing or sanding close to the jaws.
-jsw

I thought about keeping mine when I got my SB 10L, but shortly
thereafter I bent the spindle nose, like many other people did.

An editor friend at American Machinist, who made flying model
airplanes, wanted it. So, having plenty of resources as an editor
d8-), I turned a new spindle on the SB from a piece of O1 drill rod
and had it heat treated at a friendly shop.

The editor I gave it to, Bob Hatschek, used it for years, and I was
told it worked great. If I had to buy the barstock and pay for the
heat treatment, I probably wouldn't have done it. It would be too easy
to warp it when quenching if I heat treated it with my meager
facilities.

Not long after I got my 9" SB 'A', I saw one of the atlas lathes for
$500.00, it was literaly beat to sh*t. The owner noticed me looking at
it and kept pestering me to make an offer. He wasn't too pleased when
I said I could probably re-sell it for two dollars as scrap.