Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Where to get car rear-deck speakers (haven't bought speakers in decades)

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 3:18:31 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 04:20:59 -0500, Jack wrote:

Short of a volume limiter, I don't believe you can protect a speaker from a teenager.

...Slowly raises hand. I could shake the pictures on the walls at
home. Once came up from the basement, after the stereo sound stopped.

Dang. A speaker was on fire. I threw it out the front door, in the
snow.

That is why God invented the fuse. ALL my (decent) speakers are fused, and none of the others are being fed by anything even nearly capable of delivering that level of energy into that device sufficient for ignition.

Generally, fuses are designed to protect real-estate. Careful fusing will protect some equipment sometimes. Exceptionally careful fusing will protect most equipment, most of the time. No fuse is perfect. But some are so imperfect as to be genuinely dangerous, and possibly actually evil.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA